Classes at the gym

Options
How many classes do you go to a week?

Do you go by yourself or with a friend?

I'm trying to start going to classes at the gym here but no one will come with me :( I go to the gym myself all the time but this will be new, going to classes alone. Wish me luck!! I'm hoping on starting off going once a week and getting up to 3x/week.

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I currently go to 2 classes per week and go by myself. Once the class starts, you are more focused on what you are doing and following the instructor that you aren't really concerned with anyone else anyway. Give it a shot.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Joined a gym 18 months ago for cardio & weights ..... hardly ever spoke to anyone ...... after awhile I started taking yoga & Zumba classes ...... now I speak to MANY lovely people !
  • iommi4
    iommi4 Posts: 20
    Options
    i either go to the gym by myself or with a friend. most of the time its just me since i'm on a different schedule with my friend. i've always believed that you can't rely on going with anyone one though. you end up not doing it. so just go to the classes by yourself. you'll meet people that way anyways. i go to this one class every week that my trainer teaches and its awesome. had no fear if i was going to do well or not. just a matter of you consistently going every week and you'll get stronger each week with a reg routine.
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I don't wan to go by myself. But I need to. I hate stationary cardio machines and I think joining classes will help motivate me to do more cardio.
  • tlgillespie
    tlgillespie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If your gym has a spin class try that. I found the class really hard at 1st but now I just love it. No matter what class you take I find that at our gym most people tend to take the same classes week after week soon you will make some new friends. I met one of my best friends at the gym.
  • AliceAsya
    AliceAsya Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Go to any clad regularly and you'll make friends and won't be alone :)
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I go to aqua classes 3x a week, 2 different teachers, and I love one of them, as she works you so hard, so you are not just dancing in the water... theres all sorts of strength training in there for as hard as you want to push. I started going by myself, and felt very self-conscious as I have no sense of rhythm, but after that first lesson was done, and people got used to seeing me there, they became very friendly, and some of us now swim together before and after class. The other aqua class I am dropping for 6 weeks while I go to a short term "small group training" and once again, I am nervous, as thats more new people to get to know and work alongside
  • 2013queen
    Options
    I go to up to seven classes a week, plus gym and swim and I go to every single one on my own. I know a few people there from when our kids were younger but we don't chat much. I'm there to work out so don't care much.
    Also I tried asking mates and got sick of being blown out which would demotivate me and quite often I'd end up not going! Just brave it and you'll soon enjoy it regardless.
    I'm going to body pump for the first time tonight, I know I'll look like as complete noob but people really don't care!
  • Beeky85
    Beeky85 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I tried exercising with a friend previously but she kept giving up. So, I prefer going it alone. I go to Spinning and Body Blast classes 3 times a week on my own but have started to talk to the ladies who also attend. :)
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I'll go alone and hopefully have a blast and get a great workout
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I go alone and I take two classes at the Y: BodyStep & BodyPump.

I had been working out on my own (treadmill, elliptical, weight machines) but I had been getting bored and felt isolated.

Since I started taking classes a few years ago, I have met so many people. Even a nurse I worked with several years ago:smile:

There is a core group of the same people who take the classes, so it's easy to get to know people.

Glad you're willing to give it a try, it's fun!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I don't wan to go by myself. But I need to. I hate stationary cardio machines and I think joining classes will help motivate me to do more cardio.

I have found classes to be much more motivating (and fun) than working out alone.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    do not be intimidated! go and try new classes. they are alot of fun! and if u want to leave early because you dont like it or its too hard or whatever, trust me, no one will judge you! instructors will give out options for begginers as well. i have been takin classes by myself for years, and never bothered me. recently i started taking friends with me, which is funner, but all that matter is that YOU show up to class! try them out girl!:flowerforyou:
  • mlh150
    mlh150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A lot of classes form a sense of community...I always made friends as a participant and now as an instructor I make a point to encourage community in my classes. You will make friends who will encourage you along the way! Go for it!!