Will just walking at 3.0 mph do anything?

Options
13»

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The weight that I have lost so far is due to just watching my calories and mainly walking. I have never really like exercise(especially gyms) so I've started walking to the stores close to me for errands and using the elliptical here at work. I am losing weight, but I do know that in order to gain better muscle definition and flatten my tummy I will have to transition into using more weights.

I think walking is a great way to start for those of us that have never liked exercise so that you can start to see some of the weight come off.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    just wondering if ya don't have a fit bit or something, is there an easy way to tell how fast you are walking?

when i am wALKIING SLOW i log it as 2.0. any advice on this guys?

I generally know my exertion levels at different speeds from using treadmills, so it's easier to gauge outside, but you can use mapmyrun.com to map out the area that you are walking and then use that to figure out your mph. So, if your walk takes 30 minutes and you go 1.5 miles your speed is a 20 minute mile or 3 mph (20/60). OR, you could use that site to figure out what would equal 1 mile and time how long that takes. I did that around my work and around my house and follow that course periodically to make sure I'm keeping my speed up and even improving.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My dog does C25K with me also when she is sniffing around or doing her business I fit in some squats. Also if you have a smart phone and data you can get a free GPS app that will tell you how far and fast you are going.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent exercise, you burn calories, it's free, it's easy, and you can walk for ages. It's not going to give you the best body ever but it's still a great exercise and we should all do more of it. I don't have a car so I have to walk a lot and I'll burn more calories from walking in my day to day life than I would doing, say, a Jillian Michaels workout. But then it's even better if I do both!

You could add more walking to your day if possible, such as walking to and from places as much as possible, parking the car a distance away, and so forth. You could also get a pedometer to encourage yourself to get more steps in.

People have already said you cannot spot train so sit-ups won't help you get a flat stomach. However, if you are going to do one ab/core exercise I would recommend doing a plank instead (just look up plank on google), and then maybe something like a push-up and squats to get a more 'full body' workout without needing any equipment or much time. It's not going to do much for your muscles but it should help keep them active and strong.
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to be able to spot train. Walking at 3.0 is fine for burning calories.. which is going to make you lose weight. If you want to make a change in your body, walk for 30 minutes and lift weights for the other 30.

great advice
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I lost almost all of my weight with walking as my only exercise. I know that the weight loss was due to eating at a deficit but walking allowed me to eat a few more calroies and therefore have some trats that helped me stay on track. The walking and weight loss also allowed me to get off my blood pressure meds and that NSV is worth a lot to me.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Walking is good for burning calories but really doesn't do much for toning. I lost 30 pounds with walking then started to switch things up and added strength training as well for the toning. Tracey Anderson has some good you tube videos for toning.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Absolutely YES! I started out walking 15 minutes a day at 2mph. I still only walk @2.5 and I've lost 40lbs. My former name on here was NOIJUSTLOOK PREGNANT, so that should tell you something! My belly was huge and I've lost over 8 inches off it. After losing a bunch of fat, I was able to do new things, like jog, bike, etc. and my weight loss has stalled but I'm still losing inches.
    Don't let anyone tell you that you can't lose weight with cardio, because you can! You are burning calories!
    ETA: It also toned my legs, my calves and thighs mostly and the sides of my stomach and back. Weight lifting can't hurt but, yes you can burn fat at 3mph! DO it!
  • levicrouch
    Options
    I don' really have much time for exercising so I try to do at least sixty minutes per day dog walking at 3.0 mph. I have already lost 7 pounds since having my puppy but I am just worried that I wont lose much weight just doing one activity. The main area I want to lose inches on is my lower stomach will walking do this?
    I can do sit ups in the night to help tone my belly

Yes, just keep walking and deficit your calories and you will lose fat from all over your body, not just your belly.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It will deffinitly do something for you!! But once your body starts getting used to it try hlaf running on the dog walks... if your dog is a puppy it would love that!
  • dreamlily
    dreamlily Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you have weight to lose and you are at a calorie deficit, walking can do a whole lot!
    I lost 35 lbs last year and have kept it off by just tracking / controlling my calorie intake and walking-- and I lost the weight all over (each measurement reduced by 4 to 5 inches). I had been walking for exercise for a couple of years but not monitoring what I was eating, and walking alone does nothing! I was gaining weight until I really watched what I was eating!
    I'm still walking and tracking calories on MFP and have maintained the weight loss for over four months now, and I couldn't be happier--Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit is what burns fat. Its easier to get that deficit when you exercise. Also 3.0 mph is pretty slow. I thought I was walking that slow, but when I checked my GPS it was more like 4 mph. Walking is a good exercise. Ab exercises will build muscle, but it wont show until the fat is gone.

This. You can't spot reduce and any muscle you build in your abs won't show until you lose the fat there. But still, building muscle is always a good idea. :)

I lost the majority of my weight using walking as exercise. I added pilates about 10 lbs ago but it doesn't burn significant calories. I mainly do it because I have a lot of muscle pain and it helps with that (I have fibromyaglia).
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My entire weight loss has been due to walking with the occasional run. So yes, doing anything will do anything!
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Keep walking! I really can't afford a gym, and do not have equipment at home, but I have legs, and I use them. As I began to lose weight, I added on to the amount of time I spend walking. I have 2 breaks and a lunch hour. I get to work an hour or more early to walk. By then end of the day I have walked a minimum of 7 miles, and more often than not 8-10 miles or even more. I know I don't walk as quick as I can, because I am also reading, which helps me pass the time. I am not finished yet, but walking is working for me, I know I am much healthier. My Doctor recommended that I walk. When I began to plateau, all he said was, "Add some hills". All positive health changes are great, so just do what you can.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don' really have much time for exercising so I try to do at least sixty minutes per day dog walking at 3.0 mph. I have already lost 7 pounds since having my puppy but I am just worried that I wont lose much weight just doing one activity. The main area I want to lose inches on is my lower stomach will walking do this?
    I can do sit ups in the night to help tone my belly

isn't anything better than doing absolutely nothing at all?

And wtf is "toning" ?
    Someone please explain this word to me.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Walking works - I dropped +60 with diet control and walking. That said, you should start resistance or strength training as soon as possible.
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    I think you have enough verification that walking will be of great benefit to you.

Speaking of the C25K program and dog walking, doing the early weeks of the program could be doable when walking with the dog. They are short intervals of walking/slow jogging. I know the plan I used (and there several variations of the plan out there) started with a 30 min workout, 8 1-minute jogs and 32 minutes of walking. If your dog is any kind of runner, it would probably enjoy the speed variation.