Semi-Vegetarian...yay or nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think anytime you can reduce your consumption of unhealthy meats with “healthier” vegetarian options you are doing well for your body and the environment. I was a vegetarian most of life, had to find other sources of protein due to food allergies. To me vegetarian foods taste just as good as foods with meat in them. Tofu Panang curry tastes just as good as chicken panang curry. It’s all about how you prepare is. I personally think meatless soy products are a great alternative to the meats. Tofurky deli slices tastes just as good, if not better than the turkey deli slices, and I eat them both on regular bases.

And just because you are vegetarian, does not automatically mean you are eating healthier. I know plenty of unhealthy vegetarian that eat foods high in sugar and carbs… and fried vegetable are just as bad as fried as fried chicken or fish.

Totally agree.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I just started a pescatarian lifestyle, move to veg and then vegan. I tried going right to vegan last year but definitely was not creative enough in the kitchen, was eating the same stuff over and over, got sick of it and fell off. I actually enjoy cooking now, so I am giving it a go once again at a slower pace. Day three no meat, I feel great :)

I am not a fan of Tofu, and I am trying my best to stay away from soy and "meatless" replacement products, so I will have to research a bit to make sure I am getting enough protein, still having the fish I don't think it will be an issue at this moment. I also love beans, so that definitely helps with the protein!

If you are unsure, start slow and gradually take things out of your diet or trying making some meatless dishes for dinner a few times a week, see how it goes.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do :)

Do you like Veggie ground? You can use it in spag or chili??? Or try the Tofurkey Deli slices, not bad! I HATE TOFU TOO. But there's alot of options available...kinda just try it all and stick to what you do like!

Are you avoiding them causr you think you wont like them? Or another reason? Try quinoa, great for protein

Hmm never had the veggie ground! might have to try that. I actually made chili this week and loaded it with beans to make sure I got a good amount of protein, I think it ended up around almost 50g lol I have had the morningstar products, boca, but I have heard they are very highly processed and not so good for you, so I was trying to stay away from them as much as I can.

Also, I was told to stay away from Soy because I have PCOS (hormone/metabolic issue) and my dr said GMO soy could mess with my hormones even more. Maybe could try some organic products to ensure it is non GMO.

And LOVE quinoa!! I am trying to stick to as many complete whole grains as possible, instead of breads/pastas, so I am definitely going to have to try some new grains!

Thanks so much for the advice, it's greatly appreciated :flowerforyou:
  • pksd
    pksd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When it comes to tofu, most people think tasteless white block floating the plastic tray, but its lot more than that. If you visit your local Asian supermarket, you will be surprised to see how many different types of tofu there are. Try to find products made by Veri-Soy.

In San Diego we have SIPZ café and the Loving Hut restaurants, I have taken several of my strictly meat eater friends there and they all love the verity of meatless foods…... one just has to be open minded to try new foods.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should just be an omnivore and eat a lot more vegetarian products than meat. =)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've recently started researching going vegetarian and I've decided that I really like the idea of semi-vegetarian. I was just wondering if anyone else has made the switch and how difficult was it?
    I went full-veg a few years ago, pretty much cold turkey and it was very easy.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    What's a semi-vegetarian? Is it like being a little bit pregnant? You either are or you aren't.
    I have been lacto-ovo-vegetarian since last year. I had cut out all meats except fish & chicken occasionally. Then they went. I feel better & don't have that heavy feeling from eating meat. I still eat some dairy & eggs. It's only a matter of time before they go the way of the fish & chicken & other meats. I am trying to transition to vegan.
    It's not that hard. Make changes a little at a time. If you can handle it you won't be sorry. Then again, to each his own.
  • pksd
    Options

Thanks. This should keep me busy for for a while...slow day at work today !! :)
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hey, I applaud you for trying to eat more plant based but I wouldn't go around saying "Yeah, i'm a semi vegetarian and i eat chicken and fish" This honestly confuses people and then they make meals with chicken and fish in it for vegetarians and get upset when they refuse to eat it. I would just say "I don't eat x, y or z" that way everyone is clear.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    To the person saying vegetables get E. coli too - it's an intestinal bacteria. If we didn't raise animals for food and allow the runoff to infect our vegetation then we wouldn't have those issues with our vegetables.
  • bellevie86
    Options
    To the person saying vegetables get E. coli too - it's an intestinal bacteria. If we didn't raise animals for food and allow the runoff to infect our vegetation then we wouldn't have those issues with our vegetables.

Yeah...YUCK!
  • bellevie86
    Options
    When it comes to tofu, most people think tasteless white block floating the plastic tray, but its lot more than that. If you visit your local Asian supermarket, you will be surprised to see how many different types of tofu there are. Try to find products made by Veri-Soy.

In San Diego we have SIPZ café and the Loving Hut restaurants, I have taken several of my strictly meat eater friends there and they all love the verity of meatless foods…... one just has to be open minded to try new foods.

You're right....just never had it cooked the right way!!! I'm sure i'd like it if i had!!! It's all about how you season these veg products i find. If you don't season or spice them they taste like paper. The red meat gets flavour from the uric acid and other things.
  • pksd
    Options

You're right....just never had it cooked the right way!!! I'm sure i'd like it if i had!!! It's all about how you season these veg products i find. If you don't season or spice them they taste like paper. The red meat gets flavour from the uric acid and other things.

If you get Veria channel on TV. They have a program called "Naturally Delicious".....some great tips on how to make vegetarian dishes. I think they are starting to add some of the recipes online as well now.

http://www.veria.com/tv/show/naturally-delicious
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think eating less meat is not difficult at all, it's just a matter of thinking about your choices and prepping a little (by having non-meat foods on hand at home).

I think I would fall in your definition of "semi-vegetarian" -- although I understand why folks here say that term can be confusing or misleading. But it sounds like the way I eat is what you're going for. I go most days without meat. When I'm eating in someone else's home I do not grill them about how the foods were prepared, which means something might have a meat product in it. Technically alone would mean I'm not "vegetarian". (And I also eat meat very occasionally, usually chicken. Red meat is maybe 4 times per year.)

I have not had any meat in 2013 and I'm kind of wondering how far I can take it. Obviously I *can* go completely vegetarian if I make up my mind to, but I'm not sure if my commitment is enough to get me past certain situations. Do I want to start imposing this on people who entertain me? Do I want to completely forbid myself foods that I grew up loving?

By the way, when people see how I eat, they ask if I'm vegetarian. I usually answer that I rarely eat meat. It seems the simplest and most straightforward way to represent it.

Good luck! I think *any* reduction in eating meat is good for you and the planet. I like the Meatless Mondays concept but have trouble understanding why people think it's a sacrifice to go ONE day a week without meat. ;-) I don't consider it a sacrifice to go many days without out -- there are so many healthy yet tasty non-meat foods out there!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be vegetarian? Whats your motivation?

If your motivation is great enough the transition will be easy.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Loving Hut restaurants are awesome! I used to have one up the street from my college in NYC and other locations I've traveled to. Wishing CT would open some up soon.

Plain chicken, beef or pork is pretty blah too from what I remember (YEARSSSss ago!) but if you are talented in the kitchen or can follow basic recipes, it's not all that hard to make the transition. Just do your research first.

I agree with what many of the other people here have said - you're just looking to incorporate more vegetables into your diet. It doesn't make you a vegetarian.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. When I visited Chula Vista last month I took my brother & sister-in-law (who are definitely meat eaters) to SIPZ for dinner. They enjoyed it as much as I did. I highly recommend that restaurant in San Diego. Wish they had one here in Vancouver WA.
  • littlehealthyhope
    littlehealthyhope Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    semi-vegetarian? what's that? i am a pesceterian, i eat fish so i do get my protein in :)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I think that is probably the healthiest way to eat.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is really helpful. I thought about the lacto-ovo, but my husband is a huge meat eater and I thought it would be easier for me to eat fish and chicken. I'll do some more research and maybe sit down and talk with him about our meals. Thanks!

That's...not vegetarian, semi or otherwise. You're an omnivore that chooses not to eat red meat and pork. Don't label yourself as a vegetarian or semi-vegetarian because it just perpetuates the common thought that vegetarians eat chicken or fish. Vegetarians abstain from meat, regardless of where it comes from.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Loving Hut restaurants are awesome! I used to have one up the street from my college in NYC and other locations I've traveled to. Wishing CT would open some up soon.

Plain chicken, beef or pork is pretty blah too from what I remember (YEARSSSss ago!) but if you are talented in the kitchen or can follow basic recipes, it's not all that hard to make the transition. Just do your research first.

I agree with what many of the other people here have said - you're just looking to incorporate more vegetables into your diet. It doesn't make you a vegetarian.

There's a Loving Hut in Orlando that I love, but the entire chain makes me laugh/roll my eyes. It's basically a vegan cult run by Supreme Master Ching Hai.