Shin Splints

Options
2»

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer with shin splints myself. Three things that I did helped me get past them. First, good quality shoes with proper arch supports. I had my feet checked and even wore orthotics for a while. That helped. Second, I got on a steady routine of stretching my calves, hamstrings and quads every day when I worked out. The added flexibility made a huge difference. Third, I lost weight. Seriously, dropping 35 pounds made a huge difference in how much abuse my legs had to take when I ran.

I'm not shin splint free. One last word of advice, be very careful about running "through" the pain. Masking your shin splints with pain killers and continuing to do the activities that cause them can lead to more serious injury. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation is key to recovering from them. At some point you'll most likely need to take a few weeks to rest your legs and let your shins completely heal in order to be fully pain free. That was my experience and what I've found through research is very typical.

Arch supports weaken the arches. Over pronation is the result of weak arches. Runners who run in tech shoes have weak and flaccid feet & the shoes make them weaker. Our feet work as leaf springs to absorb the load & they must flex to do so.

It's ironic when we think about it. We exercise to strengthen our bodies, and ignore the body's base & only means of mobility; our feet.

In addition to shoe manufactures, our feet support a multi-billion dollar industry, orthopedics, podiatry, chiropractics, etc. - and running shoes nurture our dependance on them. I will concede that there are a few who need a special shoe, but only a small percentage.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Up date on the therapy in this video. It's helping!!!!! I can't do it for a full minute but I do it for as long as I can. When I went on my run today I didn't even feel ANY pain from my shins!!!! So awesome!! I'm still going to get five finger shoes.the minimus shoes help also.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDwY0QFsPqs
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Get properly fitted for shoes to run with. That will help. You also need to build up some muscle in your legs, that will help alleviate the pain. Stretching is key too....work on your IT bands. I found when I was training hard for runs that pilates was a great way to get stretching in. If all else fails look into orthotics.

This is so true...I use to get shin splints bad and I started doing leg exercises to strengthen the muscles in my calves. Now they are a thing of the past.