new to gym.... and I have some questions..... :)

Options
Ok, I have worked out in my home for the past 9 months.... lost 60 pounds since March and 90 all together.... I was doing something right but I feel I need so more options so I joined a gym...

The problem is, I don't know what to do... YEAH I know the treadmill and the elliptical, but as far as the machines... how many reps and how long? It was way easier listening to Jillian Michaels telling me what to do....

I DID READ the rules that other MFP members have put on here so I have a towel (to wipe sweat) and I will not try to talk to anyone with headphones on lol.... Just wanting/needing some advice!! :)

Thanks in advance ya'll :)

Replies

• wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/wareagle8706

That is a link to my blog with a beginner weight lifting routine in it and some helpful tips!

Edit to add: This routine is for anyone that's just starting out. It will help you get the hang of the form as well as start to build your strength and endurance. After you get used to being in a gym and doing these moves you can decide if you want to move more toward heavy lifting for strength or something different.

let me know if you'd like more info!
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty tough question - depends a lot on your goals. Most gyms have personal trainers to help you out, I would definitely recommend that to a beginner. You don't have to keep using a trainer necessarily, but at least they will get you started.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    If it's an option at your gym, I would recommend that you make an appointment with a trainer there simply to learn how to use machines and/or free weights. Proper form when using weights will prevent injury.

If there's no one there to help, I've heard that "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" can guide you. I personally haven't read the book or used that program. There are also videos online of how to properly do different exercises.

Good luck!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Machines are bad, mmmkay?

Compound exercises are the best bet for beginners... New Rules On Lifting For Women is a great reference for you, www.bodyrecomposition.com is a great research website...

as for a routine, www.stronglifts.com has a good basic principal, and Mehdi does a decent job of showing form, although you'll find better guides on bodyrecomposition.com
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Pick up a program. I like New Rules of Lifting for Women, others are partial to Starting Strength or Strong Lifts, and there are many more out there that you can either google or find on Bodybuilder.com.
  • mikeswife04
    mikeswife04 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll.... My goal is to maybe drop another 5-7 pounds and then get a flat tummy.... I would like defined abs but that is not a deal breaker lol... just trying to tone up I guess.....

My mid section is the only thing I am wanting to improve... my arms are pretty tight now and my legs are super toned.... :)

I know this was probably a dumb question and I appreciate all ya'll input !!!!
  • photogal375
    photogal375 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have a personal trainer on staff. I would recommend asking for his/her help. They will find out your goals and show you the equipment that will get you there. They can even take your measurements if you want. Good Luck!
  • Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Machines are bad, mmmkay?

Compound exercises are the best bet for beginners... New Rules On Lifting For Women is a great reference for you, www.bodyrecomposition.com is a great research website...

as for a routine, www.stronglifts.com has a good basic principal, and Mehdi does a decent job of showing form, although you'll find better guides on bodyrecomposition.com

And Mehdi sends out WAY too many emails!

SL5x5 is great if you use the app. It's easy to follow but the question is...and someone asked...what are your goals?

Classes are also pretty good if you're looking for a good cardio routine and something that isnt mundane.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Usually if you are new to a gym you get at least 1 free session with a persaon trainer (usually) gym staff. They take measurements and give you a fitness test to give you a baseline. They also help you set up a beginner workout and show you how to use all the machines. Even if they don't offer this, you can usually ask the gym attendant to show you how to work all the machines. I'm sure he/she will also provide you with info about weight settings and reps. Usually you want to start with a weight that you can do 8 times without to much trouble. Depending on time 3 reps is good. Don't work on the same area of the body on consequtive days. upper, lower, arms, legs, back, stomach. Your muscles need a day to recover.