Fitbit One or Polar FT4...need some feedback!

I'm looking into purchasing either a Fitbit One or Polar FT4, but I'm totally torn between the two and would love some feedback from those with experience with either device. I've researched a ton of HRM's, but these two seem to be favorites among users.

From my understanding, the Fitbit has many more features, but are they truly useful? How is accuracy of calories burned during workouts? Any other comments?

(I'm aware the Fitbit is more expensive, but right now that's not my concern. I'm purely interesting in feedback on performance.)

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 970 Member
    bump
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    double bump.
  • Melzy71
    Melzy71 Posts: 150
    I have both of these lol. I love my fitbit but it is a little low on my calories burned. When the Flex comes out I am going to be upgrading. It will be easier to not forget and leave it in the nightstand. It is a great motivator. I like to get more steps in each day. I like the polar FT4 for my individual workouts. Lets me know my heart rate and how many calories I am burning. It is all really just an estimate but I love both of them. I know this isn't much help but I use both and love them both they are just very different from each other.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    It depends on what you want.

I have a fitbit one and a polar ft7.

If you just want to know how many calories you burn during exercise I would use a polar. If in addition you want to know you TDEE on a daily basis I would get the Fitbit One. They also work nicely together if you decide to get both. They work different and measure your calories burned differently. The Polar obviously goes by your heart rate. I like to use a Polar for high intensity workouts where my fitbit might not accurately pick up how many calories I burned. I then add that information to MFP and it automatically syncs to fitbit so that fitbit will then take into account the calories as registered by my polar. I think the Polar helps the fitbit with calorie accuracy if you are a workout type of person.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I have a Fit Bit and a Polar (different model), and the Polar for sure, if you're only picking one. The FB only does steps - the Polar will do any cardio activity. For walking and running, they're close enough in calories burned for me, but the FB does nothing for biking, a class I take, or swimming. I guess it just depends on what you want to use it for.

Also, the FitBit doesn't actually do TDEE - at least not accurately. It will only measure your steps. It's a good 200 calories BELOW my actual BMR (it just uses a formula and for me, that's very wrong) and it will only adjust it based on steps. So again, any other exercises you do, it doesn't account for.
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    I suppose it depends on what kind of use that you're wanting to get out of it.

A FitBit is an "activity tracker" meant to be worn all day, so you can track your overall activity and movement on a day-to-day basis. A HRM would typically be worn during exercise only and tracks your calories burned based on your your heart rate.

Personally, I have a job that requires me to sit behind a computer most of the day, so I'm already aware that my activity level is pretty low when I'm not working out. I have a Polar FT4 and really like it. There are fancier models with more bells and whistles, but the FT4 does exactly what I need. I think the FitBit is a neat little gadget and the functions it offers are cool, but it's not practical for me. Also, I've been told that the FitBit isn't as accurate for calories burned as a standard chest-strap HRM - no clue if that's actually true, but there's that.
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Awesome feedback, thanks guys!

I never considered getting both might be more beneficial. I was a bit confused on the differences between the two since I've never used either one. Right now, I want to track my calories during high intensity workouts, so the polar is probably better for the time being.

Going to check out the Flex one mentioned before I settle on the Fitbit.

Thanks so much!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Remember to look on eBay for used ones to save money
  • mamajenny2
    mamajenny2 Posts: 22 Member
    I don't have te fitbit but I do have the Polar FT4 and I love it!!! I wear it religiously during my workouts and since it is set to my personal settings I know it is pretty accurate. I love that it does track the intensity of the workouts and how high your heart rate goes so you can see all that in a moments notice.
    Good luck either way!! I have heard good things about the fitbit too though!!! :-)
  • kdzi
    kdzi Posts: 78 Member
    I also have a Fitbit One and a Polar (different model), and I agree with my pal Omma that if you're only going to get one, the Polar is the best choice. Fitbit is great if you're sedentary, and just need motivation to move more, or if walking is your main exercise. If you do a lot of other stuff, the Polar is more versatile (but more cumbersome, you have to wear a chest band...which isn't uncomfortable, but it's more than clipping on a do-hickey).
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    I have both... use the Fitbit for daily activity, but use the Polar for my workouts (running, spinning, DVD's, etc). Love them both and works well for me.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Hi! I just got the Polar FT4 and I no longer feel the need to get the fitbit (still debating). I love the my polar so far! I got it because I wanted a more accurate reading of my workouts and I love it because it's really easy to use. I got a HRM a couple of years ago and it was so complicated to work I never used it.

I'm still debating about getting the fitbit. I have a desk job and I need a little nudge to get up and walk around...nothing wrong with getting a little motivation to move about more on your day-to-day activities.. :-)
  • Hi...I have FitBit One and Polar FT4...i can sync both using Fitbit app or I can only manually input the calories burned measured with the Polar FT4?
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Hi...I have FitBit One and Polar FT4...i can sync both using Fitbit app or I can only manually input the calories burned measured with the Polar FT4?

are you asking if you can sync the polar FT4? you will need this flowlink to do it. but i don't think it works on the ft4 just the ft7
  • jaz050465
    The Pilar Lopp and Garmin vivofit are activity monitors which you can then link with a HRM for exercise v
  • katiwagner
    katiwagner Posts: 82 Member
    Does the Polar FT4 track calories burned through out the entire day or only during exercise?
  • jaz050465
    Does the Polar FT4 track calories burned through out the entire day or only during exercise?
    Just steady state cardio exercise.

If you want something for all day then look at Activity monitors
    Do searches for the following
    Fitbit Zip/one/ Flex - Force been recalled but should be releasing something to replace it soon
    STRIIV- play/ smart pedometer- if you like games
    nike Fuelband SE/Jawbone Up 24- both second generation
    Polar loop/ Garmin vivofit - both link to their HRM
    B1/ Bodymedia a Fit/ Amiigo - all have other sensors too
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    I love my Polar FT4. Very easy to use, pretty comfortable overall and the price can't be beat. That said, it does not track how many steps per day you take, so if you're looking for a little motivation to get up and simply move more, consider buying just a simple pedometer. You can get some very small digital trackers that just clip onto your waistband and away you go and generally they're quite inexpensive. You could wear the pedometer throughout your day and then just add on the Polar when you exercise.
  • Hi...I have FitBit One and Polar FT4...i can sync both using Fitbit app or I can only manually input the calories burned measured with the Polar FT4?

are you asking if you can sync the polar FT4? you will need this flowlink to do it. but i don't think it works on the ft4 just the ft7

What kind of flowlink? What is it?
    I need to download my tracked fitness data to the Polar Website or to the mobile app.

Thank you.