Help with selecting a suit. Please.

Options

Replies

• goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Did you say you just have a couple of weeks?

You need to buy it this weekend then. 90% of the time you will need it altered. JCPenney usually does it for free but it takes time.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    JC Penney for sure. They can fit ANY budget and are very very good.

This was my first thought. But, when I look at pricing it seems that I might be able to spend about $100 more and get a suit from MWH or JABank. Correct me if I'm wrong y'all. And also, do these stores tailor, or is that something else all together? Again I have no experience with real dress clothes. Thanks.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Look whos got the sales going on - usually you can find a "buy one get one free" deal. My husband has never bought a suite at full price becuase SOMEWHERE always has this sale going on.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    +1 for a tailored suit. Really you don't want to be seen with just any sIut off the rack
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I'd just go to Men's Warehouse, get a $200 suit and get it tailored. You MUST get it fitted and tailored. Men without tailored suits stick out like a sore thumb...it's obvious and makes a bad impression. A cheap suit can look good if it fits well. The guys there can size you etc.

Interview suits should be charcoal. Maybe dark blue. Never dark black, you are not an FBI agent or attending a funeral. No light colored suits.

This for sure. Tailoring can take time so make sure you account for that.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    HaHa, my wife is gonna freak out. I definitely want to be judged on my skills and knowledge, not how I look. FYI, I will be entering the Clinical Engineering field.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    This was my first thought. But, when I look at pricing it seems that I might be able to spend about $100 more and get a suit from MWH or JABank. Correct me if I'm wrong y'all. And also, do these stores tailor, or is that something else all together? Again I have no experience with real dress clothes. Thanks.

MW and JA usually have on-site tailors.

But you can't just buy a suit and wear it that day. You buy it, get a fitting, wait a few days as they adjust it, get a second fitting, adjust AGAIN, wait, and then take it home. You gotta move.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    JC Penney for sure. They can fit ANY budget and are very very good.

JABanks is always having a sale. My husband has bought many, many suits from them in his career--I think that their suits are of decent quality. We have no experience with MWH, and I know I bought my first (women's) interview suit from JCPenney and it was more polyester than wool. JABanks used to have in-store tailors--I think they send to a centralized location now--but they will chalk up your suit right for you and send it out and everything.

Definitely dress for the job you want and not necessarily the job you have. Wear nice polished shoes. It's a good idea to invest in a decent suit (as long as you don't plan on losing or gaining too much weight soon)--not only for the job interview aspect, but you are probably getting to the age when your friends are going to start getting married... and you always need a suit to wear to funerals, too...
  • danabrash
    Options
    Really you don't want to be seen with just any sIut off the rack

too true...
  • mrswestmoreland
    mrswestmoreland Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    JCP is a great place to start. They have lots of brands and usually have really good prices. I have gotten my husband jackets for $15 and the dress pants are usually $20. Get a dark suit (blue, blk, gray) Good Luck. This as nothing to do with suits...but dont know if you know that the federal governemt has training plans that put you on a fast track career. If you go to usajobs.gov and type intern in the search box you should be able to locate some of the positions.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    HaHa, my wife is gonna freak out. I definitely want to be judged on my skills and knowledge, not how I look. FYI, I will be entering the Clinical Engineering field.

You WILL be judged on how you look in an interview, regardless of field. Know that going in. Looking great won't get you the job, but looking bad will cost you the job.

And I second the comment about the shoes. Invest in a nice pair of black oxfords - they'll match either a black or blue suit.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Really you don't want to be seen with just any sIut off the rack

Sluts always should be customized for your body-type.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Nothing worse than a cheap, ill fitting suit.

Try men's consignment stores, or places like Nordstrom Rack. A suit is always a good investment. If you can spare ANY money invest!
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Just found a Jos A Bank less than 10 miles from me. Yeaaa
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Don't get separates for a job interview.

Why would you pass up the opportunity to buy your suit in customized waist and inseam sizing and jacket sizing rather than going with the standard coat to pants size drop?

Perhaps I am using the wrong term. By suit separates, I mean the same exact 2 or 3 button suit just allowing to pick your own coat size and your own pant size rather than picking your coat size and being forced to take the pant size that comes with it. Perhaps the latter doesn't happen anymore even at MW.

Definitely good advice on getting good Black dress shoes that give you more functionality.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Don't get separates for a job interview.

Why would you pass up the opportunity to buy your suit in customized waist and inseam sizing and jacket sizing rather than going with the standard coat to pants size drop?

Perhaps I am using the wrong term. By suit separates, I mean the same exact 2 or 3 button suit just allowing to pick your own coat size and your own pant size rather than picking your coat size and being forced to take the pant size that comes with it. Perhaps the latter doesn't happen anymore even at MW.

Definitely good advice on getting good Black dress shoes that give you more functionality.

OK, I misunderstood. When you said separates, I thought you meant a sports coat and slacks.
  • alaaaaaaaaan
    Options
    If you have a Burlington Coat Factory around you pick one up there and like most the guys have said so far, TAILOR!
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    1. Joseph A Banks always has coupons. Dont go on one of the few days suits are not on sale.
    2. Pay attention to the shirt. Long sleeves. Never Short Sleeves. White. Possibly Light Blue. No colors, no blue shirt with white colars. The tailored look has been mentioned several times. To me 1/2 of shirt sleeve peeking past suit jacket sleeve is very important.
    3. Long socks. Pants will ride up. You do not want to show calf skin when you cross your legs.
    4. Shoes are important. Black, cap toe lace up.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Tailoring is a must! It will make a $200 suit look like you spent twice as much. Plus, if it is tailored well you will feel more confidnet and it will show. I'd go for a blue suit, white shirt--because their is a reason they are called white-collar jobs and brown shoes. Don't do black shoes if you go with a white shirt.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    personally - I would suggest spending to the top of your budget to get a good suit - that fits really well (ie tailoring if needed) etc. get something that will last.

charcoal, black, and navy