Feel like crying...

AKosky585
AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
The past 2 weeks, I've been making sure I am getting 1200 calories a day. I have been doing the 30 Day Shred 4 days a week, and the treadmill at a 4.3 mph pace on an 8.0 incline for 4-6 miles 5 days a week. I eat healthy, my fat intake is HALF of what is recommended. Everything else is JUST below, if not right at the recommendation. Lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, fiber and whole grains, low fat milk...I eat back just under half of my exercise calories.

...I weighed myself today and am the EXACT same I was 2 weeks ago. I took my measurements....no change. WHY? I've been working so hard, and I've had several people tell me that they can tell I am firming up/have lost some. According to the scale and tape measure though, there is no such change.

I got on the scale with such high hopes of being down 2 pounds from the past 2 weeks. I FELT confident...and now, I just feel like it is pointless. Sure, I am staying the same...but with all the effort I am putting in to this, shouldn't there be SOMETHING happening?

I was losing weight when I was only eating 800 - 900 calories per day while JUST doing the treadmill for 4 miles per day. I've upped by workout, and my calories and am at a stand still. If I go any higher, I am likely to gain.

What do I need to do to start losing SOMETHING?

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Maybe your body isn't sure what to think about the additional calories? I've found that my body typically bloats and even gains a pound or two when I increase calories (but stay under maintenance). It eventually goes away, but can take more than 2 weeks.

Don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Are you eating back all of your exercise calories? Please read this, and it will explain why you need to be eating them...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Please don't give up. Read what Boss wrote, and try again K? =)
  • marii92
    marii92 Posts: 77
    Don't give up! *hug
    It's probably your muscles, I hear they hold onto water after workouts. Give it two more weeks and you should see results.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    And if weight training is new to you (or you haven't done it in awhile) your muscles might be retaining fluid for the first couple weeks of a new routine. Give your body a chance to get used to the new calories and the change in exercise. I'm only down a tiny .2 lbs this week, so I feel your frustration. Stick with it.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Your body is probably just reconfiguring itself, so obviously you have non-scale victories! You are just on a plateau. keep doing what you are doing and you will succeed eventually. I was on a plateau for 2 months and the scale would not budge meanwhile ppl started noticing changes in my body... let us know if anything changes, good luck...<3kat
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Mine has been doing the same thing for over a month, despite intesne work!!! Please don't give up, my body is retaining fluid right now for some reason, and yours is probably too. and try not to focus on pounds. I know it's hard, but you've probably gained muscle...and so try to focus on how you look, and how your clothes feel. when I do this, I feel good. when I hop on the scale=bad.

hand in there!!!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    If you can't eat back all your exercise calories - slow down your workout. don't burn 800 calories at the gym if you KNOW you can't eat 2000 calories that day. you said what you were doing before was working. It's all about balance.
  • irismoon
    irismoon Posts: 83
    I think this happens to everyone. You lose some weight, and then nothing. No matter how hard you try to get it off. When I first started going to a local fitness center I was losing weight for a good bit then after a couple of months I got no results. I tried going more often and cutting back on my diet and still got nothing. Then after a few weeks I started losing the weight and inches again. Not sure why, but it seems that a lot of people have this happen. The key thing is not to give up. No matter how much you feel like it. Sitck it out and you'll shed the pounds and inches soon. Remember to keep the big picture in mind at a time like this. Good luck.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    question, why are you eating only half your fat calories? Fat is just as important as protein and carbohydrates. The body needs fat, it's a major component of many important vitamins and their delivery, along with brain, skin, and hair health.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    SUCH a common problem...but it's not really a problem. Here's why. Most healthy people who are eating fairly well going into a fitness program don't drop any weight the first couple of weeks, and may even gain some. Those that drop weight -- often up to 4-5 pounds a week in the first couple of weeks-- generally have diets high in processed foods before starting a fitness program (lots of hidden sodium). Body has to retain water to dilute sodium to keep sodium/potassium in balance. Too much sodium would screw up your heart rhythm, and other things...not good. Body knows best.

Here's what could be keeping 'weight' (not fat) on:
    ** Increased workouts increase blood volume the first couple of weeks. You need more hemoglobin to transport oxygen to all of your hard-working muscles, and it all floats around in plasma. You need more of it because you're working out harder. This is GOOD news.
    ** Your hard working muscles are retaining fluid as well. It's unlikely that you've built any significant muscle mass in 2-4 weeks that will show up on the scale, but the change in muscle composition will. Soon, muscle mass will replace fat lost.
    **If you've started eating better, i.e. more fiber, you may be a bit constipated. Water, water, water. Water (did I say that?) will also help balance sodium levels
    ** You may be triggering stress hormones by working out so hard, so fast, so often. Cortisol and some of it's buddies will halt fat loss (also immune function...anyone ever get sick when starting a new exercise program?) They think you're going to need this fat for fuel, since you're running for your life and not eating too much. Translated...you're at war, and there's also a famine. The last thing your body wants to do is let go of it's precious energy reserves. It's this kind of stuff that keeps us at the top of the food chain
    **Supplements such as creatine, glutamine, and excess protein will also trigger fluid retention. Many people don't realize that 'overloading' on protein (40% or more in total calories) also triggers fluid retention...kidneys need the water to process protein.

Tips to help reassure your body that 'it's all good', calm some stress hormones, and it's ok to let go of some fat...
    **Slow down a bit. All your workouts shouldn't be red-line. Alternate cardio and strength days.
    **Practice 15 minutes of deep breathing/calming exercise. This is awesome at the end of the evening, or before beginning your day. Even 5 deep breaths some time during the day will break the stress cycle. Breathing is the fastest way to detoxify your body.
    ** Make sure you're getting enough general activity during the day. Sometimes we work out really hard, then sit down and eat the rest of the day:-) 10k steps would be minimal activity level for weight loss...especially if you're getting close to the last 10 pounds. 12-14 k is more like it.
    ** Water, water, water, and fiber, fiber, fiber.
    **Check your sodium...Try to stay under 1500 mg/day. It's hidden in all kinds of processed foods. Try to avoid processed foods, don't eat out at all right now (you don't know how it's prepared), and ditch any and all fast food
    **And continue to eat enough. Lots of info out there about the body's 'starvation reflex'. 1200 -1600 calories a day will give you gradual fat loss, 1-2 pounds/week. More than that, and you're not losing fat...and may be damaging your metabolism (that 800 calories a day stuff? Forget about that from now on!)

Good luck!!
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Agree with what others are saying, also, you only have 16 pounds to lose. You're into your body's "famine insurance" weight at this point...your body is gonna fight you on this. With such a relatively small amount to lose, 2 weeks is not enough time to see real change.

Additionally, an agressive weight loss approach will probably be counterproductive at this point. Set your weight loss goal to .5 lb a week and eat all your exercise cals for 3-4 weeks, and I bet you'll start seeing results.
This discussion has been closed.