Percent of carbs per day

Options
Hi
I'm new and am wondering what percent of my day should be carbs vs protein?
Thanks

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    100%
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Set your protein, set your fat - the carbs are the variable.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Percentages are a poor way to set up a diet. For example, saying that 40% of your diet should be protein would put be overkill for me, because I eat 3,000 calories per day.

A better way to set up your diet would be:

-1g of protein per pound of target bodyweight
    -.4-.5g per pound of bodyweight for fat
    -After the above minimums are hit, you can eat as many carbs as you want, provided that you don't go over your calorie target
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options

this is what i do too. if i can come close to protein goal and under fat then i don't really care what carbs ends up as
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

this is what i do too. if i can come close to protein goal and under fat then i don't really care what carbs ends up as

Fats are a minimum - you should look to hit or go over.
  • Bentlly
    Bentlly Posts: 12
    Options
    Percentages are a poor way to set up a diet. For example, saying that 40% of your diet should be protein would put be overkill for me, because I eat 3,000 calories per day.

-After the above minimums are hit, you can eat as many carbs as you want, provided that you don't go over your calorie target

How can that be right (1g protein per # & 0.5g fat per #)?

I am 235 #, my goal is 200 #, my net calorie goal is 2,020 to lose a pound a week.

200 # * 1 g/# = 200 g * 4 cal/g = 800 cal of protein per day
    200 # * 0.5 g/# = 100 g * 9 cal/g = 900 cal of fat per day

That's 1,700 calories per day, without any carbs.
    That would allow for only 80 g of carbs if I don't exercise that day (320 cal, less than 16% of daily calorie intake)

Seems unrealistic. Am I miscalculating something?

Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How can that be right (1g protein per # & 0.5g fat per #)?

I am 235 #, my goal is 200 #, my net calorie goal is 2,020 to lose a pound a week.

200 # * 1 g/# = 200 g * 4 cal/g = 800 cal of protein per day
    200 # * 0.5 g/# = 100 g * 9 cal/g = 900 cal of fat per day

That's 1,700 calories per day, without any carbs.
    That would allow for only 80 g of carbs if I don't exercise that day (320 cal, less than 16% of daily calorie intake)

Seems unrealistic. Am I miscalculating something?

Thanks!

Your fats do not need to be that high. 70g should be plenty. That would 'free up' some cals for carbs.
  • Bentlly
    Bentlly Posts: 12
    Options
    I guess my question would be along the lines of the original question for this thread, which I don't think has really been answered yet.

What are acceptable ranges for macronutrient percentages? The default setting for MFP is
    15% protein
    30% fat
    55% carbs.

However, my new healthy diet (5 weeks worth) seems to come in at the following:
    30% protein
    20% fat
    50% carbs

So I am eating twice as much protein and only 2/3 of the fat as the MFP guideline.

Regarding the comment that percentages of macronutrients are a poor way to set up the diet, I see your point. However, MFP uses it so the question seems valid for this site. I don't see it here on the website, but on the iPad app, the home screen centers on a big ole pie chart with your percentages (daily or weekly) and shows recommended percentages next to it. Its as if someone thinks it is a really important big picture perspective.

I don't "plan" my meals by the percentages, but I do check it out at the end of the week. I just try to eat healthy and low calorie. Fat is high in calories. As a result, I eat way less fat overall than I used to. The fat I do eat is mostly good fat and I supplement with fish oil and flaxseed oil pills.

I have heard several people say they average 30% percent or more fat.

I am going with the approach of monitoring my fat and protein within an acceptable range, and letting the remainder be quality carbs.

Am I actually eating too much protein (I don't work out much) and not enough fat? My Food diary is public.

Thanks!