Want To Start Running... But My Mind Won't Let Me!!!

Options
I've always wanted to start running. Whether it's the track at the school, the trail at the park, or the treadmill at the gym- it's always been one of those things that I wish I had the balls to incorporate into my exercise routine. I hear that it's one of those exercises that really helps to shed the pounds all over pretty quickly. I'm sure that many of you reading this are probably thinking, "Sooooooo... what's stopping you?" Well, honestly, I'm stopping myself. I know it's nothing to get started, but I'm always worried about what others will think or say when they see aaaaaaaaaaaall of this jiggling along the track or on the treadmill. I know I don't need to be worried about what others perception of me is while I'm trying to better myself, but it do. I predominately work out at the gym, and have started ramping up my walking speed. My hope is to eventually build up to running. I was just wondering if any one else was having this same fear so to speak?

Replies

• faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Use the eliptical as an alternative
  • VeloRat1969
    VeloRat1969 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think it's a really common fear. But, as a long-time runner, I'll tell you what *I* think when I see a new runner jiggling along at the track: "That person is AWESOME, and is much, much braver than me".

Seriously. Just go run. For every one *kitten* out there, there are 9 of us who are in awe of your commitment.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    I understand your fear about not wanting anyone to see you..I don't like running on the treadmill so when I first started running on a neighborhood trail I would wear a hat and sunglasses! For some reason it made me feel better. I also started with intervals of walking and running. It helps build endurance. When you build up some confidence in your running you won't care what you look like anymore. You got this..you can do it! :-)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence about running, but when I decided to start trying, I liked the couch to 5 k plan. It was difficult to start, but I enjoyed it. My motivation for starting to run was to burn more calories in less time! I have to say I don't like taking time away from the family or sleep to exercise, so it was motivating for me to find a way to burn maximum calories in minimum time. I was worried about people at the gym or outside seeing me, but once I actually start running/jogging, I don't think about the other people because I'm just focusing on breathing!

I stopped doing the running program because I discovered that I could get a great workout by doing a lot of hills/incline intervals, so I started doing those. I worked steadily at doing those for about 3 months, and one day I decided to run again. I was able to run for 15 minutes straight, even though when I had stopped running I was only running for 2 minute intervals. The hills helped condition my breathing and body and made it easier to run in the end. If you are still too afraid to run, maybe you can try something like that on your treadmill. Just push yourself to go faster and at higher inclines, then maybe when you get the courage to run, you'll be able to do it more easily than you think.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Definitely know where you are coming from. I did the Couch to 5k program, but wasn't until the 2nd time I did it that it really stuck for me. I was also really nervous about having to jog around the park and what other people would think of me etc. It's weird but it didn't take long until I just didn't care! I used to wear longer pants and really cover myself up so no one would have to look at that "fat" and slow runner. Now I wear what I want to to be comfortable, pop in my headphones so I can't hear people and look unapproachable, and go for it. When you are tired and sweating and have goals for your run you really don't care what anyone thinks, you just want to get it done.

I think you are at the perfect point to start running. You are walking a lot and sounds like you have the bug to start running and that's the perfect time to start. There are a lot of good interval/beginner programs out there, so just go out and do it! You've got this! (Also: get fitted for good running shoes, you can run in almost anything, but I think good shoes are a necessity)
  • BowaBowa
    BowaBowa Posts: 162
    Options
    You are not alone. Many people that start out at the gym are shy like yourself. The difference between the people that stick with the gym and shy away from the gym is the mental block. You have to break through the mental block. I know what it's like to be so self conscious. I started off by going to the gym when it was dead, which was around 11pm. Over time, the weight started coming off and I was able to ease myself into not caring what others think and my mental focus became stronger.

Be mentally tough! ! !:mad:
    - I am not going to the gym to social / entertain anyone
    - I need to get in the gym, get my work done, and get out
    - I eat for fuel, not for enjoyment

Stick with it. Once you get addicted to your results, the shyness just goes away.:happy:
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think the majority of people won't think anything and if they do it's something positive like, "Good for her!" Just do it! Life is too short to let other peoples' thoughts, which you'll never hear anyway, hold you back.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day...I also want to run, but I'm afraid.

"Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the

running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy.

You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make

you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops

on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so

much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes

at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You

never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the

reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is

tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a

brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will

far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face

your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this

physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult

decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take

is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so

slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were

in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is

stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is

possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and

put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that

the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so

inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people,

know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so

many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health,

“starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from

deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are

relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and

you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe

tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will

not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a

new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you."
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just go out and do it. You're only out there for YOU so try (I know it's hard) not to care about others' perceptions/views about what you're doing.

I occassionally run at a track in the next town over and it's the best track because I LOVE the diversity. There are young people, old people, tiny people, big people, people of all different ethnicities, people covered head to toe for religious reasons, people practically wearing nothing, people that blow by me, people walking with canes, Moms pushing babies, Dads pushing babies, people by themselves, people working with teams, oblivious people, courteous people... just all walks of life. I love it because we're all so different yet there for the same reason. So just get out there, you might surprise yourself with what you find! If you're able to stick to dedicated jogging trails, I think you'll find that most people you encounter will either be supportive or just be so focused on what they're doing that they'll hardly notice you.

As you're already figuring out - running (at least for me) is about 85% mental, 15% physical. There's been a lot I never thought I'd be able to accomplish simply because I asked my body to do it. Oh, and as others have suggested - start with intervals! That helped me tremendously in the beginning.
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to start running. Whether it's the track at the school, the trail at the park, or the treadmill at the gym- it's always been one of those things that I wish I had the balls to incorporate into my exercise routine. I hear that it's one of those exercises that really helps to shed the pounds all over pretty quickly. I'm sure that many of you reading this are probably thinking, "Sooooooo... what's stopping you?" Well, honestly, I'm stopping myself. I know it's nothing to get started, but I'm always worried about what others will think or say when they see aaaaaaaaaaaall of this jiggling along the track or on the treadmill. I know I don't need to be worried about what others perception of me is while I'm trying to better myself, but it do. I predominately work out at the gym, and have started ramping up my walking speed. My hope is to eventually build up to running. I was just wondering if any one else was having this same fear so to speak?

I have a couple of suggestions:

1) run with a friend. A lot of the edge is taken off when you have someone with you. It gives you someone to talk to and focus on so that you're not worried about what other people (who, by the way, are JUST as scared of YOU looking at THEM and thinking about them jiggling, by the way) are thinking.
    An alternative to this is check in with your local running shoe shop. There are often running groups or running classes that you can go to. Having others around is always a good motivator too.

2) Try running intervals. Walk for a warm up, and then jog/run for 30 seconds, then walk for a minute, run/jog 30 seconds, walk for a minute etc etc until you complete your time or course. This will let you ease into running and get comfortable with your body as you run .

3) Try running with the app "Zombies, Run." Its an audio app that plays out a story where you are a runner in the zombie apocalypse who has to run around saving people and collecting supplies. Its a TON of fun, and gives you a reason to run by having you play a game.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Honestly who really cares what anyone thinks if this is what you want to incorporate the best step is to just do it. Once you hit 5 minutes out the door it feels good, that first step out the door is hardest for anyone. and getting past it and down that trail you will feel like you need to keep going.

I am asthmatic and running scared the crap out of me, I didn't run for years out of fear of an asthma attack that would kill me (and yes I have had severe attacks while running) but I didn't let it stop me. I was running 10-12K a day on average 5 days a week before I had to stop from an injury. If I could do it, I think anyone really can. Just don't say no, say yes. Everytime say yes!
  • acmerunner
    acmerunner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is AWESOME!!!!!

"Hey, Fat Girl.

running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy.

You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make

you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops

on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so

much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes

at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You

never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the

reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is

tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a

brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will

far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face

your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this

physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult

decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take

is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so

slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were

in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is

stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is

possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and

put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that

the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so

inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people,

know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so

many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health,

“starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from

deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are

relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and

you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe

tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will

not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a

new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you."
  • NBowes88
    NBowes88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner when I first started exercising. I hated it! One day I just felt like running so I went outside and started. It's a great stress reliever and if you go running outside it feels great to get some fresh air (plus if you feel like stopping you have to get back home somehow so you might as well keep going!).

Everyone gave a lot of great advice so I'm not going to say much. One thing I did learn for myself was to not care what other people think. You might feel self conscious about running at first, but eventually you'll feel great about yourself. People will ask you how you do it. Another thing that really motivates me is to go watch a race. My sister loves to run and enters races, whether it's a 5k, 10k, or a half marathon. I thought it would be a great idea to go watch her race and show my support - what I found was there are soooo many different types of people who get out there and run. I kept thinking in my head, "If they can do it then so can I!" I hope that helps!!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I knew people would see this fat guy running sown the street. I also knew that I wasn't running for them. Think of why you want to run and remember that is more important that what people think.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Everybody jiggles, welcome to the club. You know what's cool about this club? The other runners. ACTUAL runners will support and encourage you. The last one to finish a 5K gets more applause than the first.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    just break up

oh wrong thread. C25K and get up and out of the house. slow fast, who cares.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Grab yourself a set of gym clothes that makes you feel sleek. Then start off running 30 seconds for every minute of walking. Once you get used to the feel of running and get to the point where you start enjoying it, you'll care less what others think of what you look like during. Also, think of how absolutely satisfying running is. For the longest time I was convinced that I couldn't run. Eventually I signed up for a kickboxing class at the community college that included outdoor runs. I discovered the very first run we did that the "Wow, I actually did it!" was way more significant than the "but everyone on the entire campus saw me". It's really an amazing feeling to know that you're capable of running. Don't let self-conciousness cheat you out of it!
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    This is AWESOME!!!!!

**Inspirational story**

Seconded! One for my moto wall
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

"Hey, Fat Girl.

running track...
    From here: http://flintland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html :smile:
  • thick_to_fit
    Options
    you know what I find it hard to believe ANYONE really looks at someone whos running on the treadmill and thinking anything negative.
    i mean honestly if they're even able to pay attention to you their probably not working out to hard anyway.
    i'd say just do it girl even if you have to keep slowing you'll get better
    but believe me when i say noone is going to be thinking anything but at least she's trying

just remember don't hold on to the rails!! good luck