Clothing...to throw out or keep

Options
Im not sure where I should post this but here goes.

I am at the beginning of my weight loss (yet again) and as the title suggests I am in a predicament about my clothing.

I have clothing that ranges from me at my largest which is pretty much now to me at my lowest weight...and I always keep it all 'Just in case' I need it again.
For example I have a draw that consists of jeans from size 12 upto 20

Now my wardrobe is looking like something out of a horror film and I need a serious clear out... Is it too much to throw out all my smaller sizes at the moment and then just buy new clothing as or when I need it.

I have a serious lack of space and some of the clothing is almost 8 years old!! I am quite a hoarder but I think it will make me feel better when I do loose a little weight to go out and buy some new stuff.... what do you guys think?

Replies

• marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Once something gets too big, donate it.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If you have anything that is too small, but you love it and can't wait to wear it again, why not keep it for motivation? Like a "by June, I want to fit into this". Then just donate the rest, a win-win for everybody!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You can have a ritual for each milestone. When you comfortably fit in the next size down you can dispose of the larger clothes in a way that feels satisfying to you.

I would burn them or cut them in to little pieces... or donate them like marathon_mama suggested :)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Donate.

When something doesn't fit, I toss it in a bag and donate it or give it to a family member. The Red Cross can use all of your too-big clothing items for people in need, and keeping them is esentially telling yourself 'it's okay if I fail, I expect myself to'
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, get ride of clothes that no longer fit you. Also get rid of clothes that you don't like any longer or that you don't feel amazing in, even if they fit. If you know you probably won't want to wear something in a smaller size again then go ahead and get rid of it! I recently cleaned out my closet and it felt amazing! I just wanted to get rid of stuff that reminded me of a different time in my life, which was not related to weight. Let go of the feelings of guilt at getting rid of perfectly good clothes. You don't need all that baggage weighing you down. Plus yeah, it's fun to go out and buy new clothes that you feel awesome in!
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Im with WickedGarden and MightyDomo - donating is always good, but keeping some around is great for motivation, in both directions:

1) I keep a pair of jeans, size 34, which represent my next milestone. They are on a hanger, hanging on the wall. I look at them whenever I am feeling reluctant to work out, or feel like eating some junk, and they help keep me in check

2) I keep an old pair of pants, and an old shirt from my big days (size 54 pants) and I use these to remind me that I AM actually losing weight and changing my body. There are times when I need to see this in order to remind me that I am not as fat as I my mind sometimes thinks I am.

Keep up the good work! Getting healthy is one of the greatest undertakings a person can endeavor upon
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Indeed, as soon as I am comfortable in a smaller size, every stitch of larger clothing I own is going to GoodWill.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I would donate the larger stuff except maybe one item to keep so you can see how much weight you lost. I'd keep the smaller stuff since you're still losing. You could also try doing a clothing swap with some friends to get clothing in your size now.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with the same thing--I have a ton of stuff that's too big that I feel like I need to save. Time to clean it out and go shopping I think!!!
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your budget - a new wardrobe isn't cheap. I was in a similar predicament - I had drawers of clothes spanning 10 sizes. I boxed up all the high end stuff that didn't fit (too big or too small) and kept it. Then I had a garage sale to profit off the rest. Anything that was left over after the garage sale I donated to WIC. I have a very small budget for new clothes, so I just couldn't justify getting rid of the nice ones - even if they didn't fit. In the end, though, you just have to do what you think will make you happy!
  • tacdusty
    Options
    Goodwill.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Trash anything that's worn out. Donate everything that's out of style in any size and anything that's too big. Keep wearable pieces in smaller sizes until they're too big, then donate. I'm about 6-8 pounds less than my goal now and only have clothes that fit or are about one size too large. I'm not sure whether my happy weight is at my original goal or my current smaller size, so once I reach the one year mark at a steady size, I'll donate anything that doesn't fit, so I'm motivated to continuously maintain.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Donate!

I have a group of girlfriends - someone is either on their way up or down on their weightloss journey. We have a clothing exchange so things get passed around or donate if no one wants them.

When I'm on the way up or down I go to second hand stores so I'm not INVESTED in these clothes :)

Good luck!

You can do it!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I see a majority of the people responding didn't read the part where it said the clothes were too small, not too big.

To the OP, I would say keep the smaller clothes only IF you think you'll actually wear them. For me, 8 year old clothing is likely out of style, and I wouldn't wear it anyway, so I would chunk it and just get new clothes when I need them. But, if you can't afford to do that, get some of the space saver bags and store them away until they fit again.

And in the future, don't ever hold on to clothes that are too big. They're never supposed to fit again.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've had a box of clothes that are in smaller sizes for years. I've kept them for a couple reasons.
    1. I'm not rich. I can't just go buy a bunch of new clothes just because.
    2. Many of the clothes(I think) are still cute and not really outdated.

I did go through the items a while back and anything that was really worn or too dated I threw out or donated. For me personally I'm going to do that again. Anything I don't really like, too outdated style wise or age appropriate I will donate.

I wouldn't keep something if you don't really like it and know you won't wear it.
  • Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost 10stone (140lbs) I kept the lot, I had no confidence in myself or my achievement and due to many other factors ended up needing them again, was this because somewhere in the back of my mind my body was trying to fit back into them.. I don't know but this time... they are off and going, I have clothes from 12-30, all of the 26-30's have now left the building and been sent to the great charity shop in the sky.

But when the weight went back on I kept the smaller stuff but only the things I KNOW I will wear again, everything else got sent to the same charity shop in the sky.

Now my wardrobe is organised so the smaller stuff i've kept is at the back but all hung up and sorted nicely and every now and again I try bits on to see how things are going and how much closer I am to wearing them again.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Donate everything that's:

1) Too big

2) Not flattering, even if it fits

3) Too small and not something you love

For years I kept my smaller clothes in a range of sizes for when I "lost the weight". My DH would get so frustrated about the 5 huge tubs of clothes I had stored in the basement. Finally, I went through them and got rid of anything that would be cheap or easy to replace (like tshirts, sweatpants, etc) and kept only the nicer dressier stuff that fits my current style. I had stuff I had kept for more than 10 years!! Go through what you have, pick out the stuff you love and/or might need (I keept a special occasion dress in every size because they aren't cheap to buy) and ditch the rest.

I found that just by focusing on doing those things, especially #1 and #2 as I lost weight I made room for stuff I felt good in and loved. I have fewer clothes now but it's so much easier to get dressed in the mornings.

ETA: About the only thing I have left still saved in my "skinny" clothes are the formal wear/dresses and pants/jeans. It is so hard for me to find pants that fit well and flatter that I kept the ones that were old faves.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Donate what does not fit - big or small unless you think they'll be worn at some point.
    I tossed my fat clothes and saw that as a closed door.
    There should be no kernel of thought that they'll ever be useful again.
    As for smaller clothes, I keep one size smaller as that's the direction I am going.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Donate.

When something doesn't fit, I toss it in a bag and donate it or give it to a family member. The Red Cross can use all of your too-big clothing items for people in need, and keeping them is esentially telling yourself 'it's okay if I fail, I expect myself to'

I 100% agree with this. when i was losing most of my weight, as soon as something got too big, i would bag it up and donate it. bags and bags of clothes went out of the house, but i'm glad i did, because when i slipped and gained a little weight over the holidays, what got me back on track is that my none of my clothes were fitting correctly anymore. :)

It works! :)
  • DuhhMuffin
    Options
    I would donate it. I'm not keeping any of my fat clothes once I lose all this weight, because I don't want to feel like it's "okay" if I gain a few pounds back, because I'll have something to wear.