Best thing for recovery after a hard workout?

Options
What's the best way to speed up muscle recovery after a hard workout? At the moment I have to take a day off inbetween the 30 day shred each day and I'd really like to get to not beingso sore. Should I just keep at it or drink protein powder or what? I have lots of protein in my diet, eating chicken every day, almost, or some other lean meat.

Replies

• kimberlypazdera
    kimberlypazdera Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My trainer says a hot bath after your work out helps lift the lactic acid from the muscles which is what causes us to be sore. Also, I would bump up the potassium you take in (i.e a banana after your workout)...plus the usual lots of water.

I'm not sure how protein powder reacts with different people but protein powder causes me to gain lbs, since that's basically what its meant to do (pack on muscle). If you are still trying to lose I would keep on incorporating your lean proteins (chicken, fish, ect) and not rely on the powder for your proteins.

Good luck to you, hope that helped some what :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that chocolate milk has the best balance of proteins and carbs for recovery. I just can't bring myself to drink all that sugar, so I usually have a protein shake.

Also drinking lots of water, light movement and stretching have all been shown to help, especially when all three are combined.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there's anything you can actually ingest to help this - except maybe some ibruprofen. Bananas might help but I eat them every day and they never help me with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Protein may help with the actual recovery of the muscle fibers but that doesn't mean it aids the actual healing process as far as your pain goes. You've made little tears in those muscle fibers and they're going to take up to 3 days to heal up and feel better depending on how much damage was done.

However, there are things you can DO to help. Don't stop moving just because you're sore. On your off day, do something less intense like a nice 20-30 minutes walk and once your body's good and warmed up, stretch really well. I've heard conflicting information on heat or cold but use what you think works best. You could also try massage and/or using foam rollers.

This is temporary...as you get more fit and your body gets used to the workout, you will be less sore. Drink plenty of water!

Here's a nice article about DOMS

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/doms.htm
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I saw a dietician at the university I work at who said chocolate milk was one of the best recovery drinks too. She said some type of recovery snack or drink should ideally be consumed within 60 minutes of the workout for optimal results. I've also found that brisk walking or light jogging on the days between the harder workouts helps a lot. It'll be sore at first, but once the muscles warm up and you do it for several minutes, they'll start to really feel better. Do some good stretching afterward too.
  • MileHighScott
    MileHighScott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Anything with a 4:1 carb to protein ratio. Chocolate milk is a good option so is apple juice & a scoop of protein powder. I use a product called Vega recovery accelerator (you can buy it at Whole Foods.) I'm sure if you went to a GNC or Vitamin World you could find something similar.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I stretch, then put my feet up.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't need a recovery drink after 30DS. Your muscles are sore because you haven't been using them The soreness is DOMS and is perfectly natural. Eat a healthy diet and don't worry about recovery. Warm baths, stretching and Ibuprofen will get you through until you build up some stamina and strength.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Rest, hydration and some food if hungry...
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm not usually sore any more, but my ritual is to have a protein shake made with skim milk asap after my workout. It helps me to not be hungry the rest of the night. Keep in mind, my classes finish about 8:30pm, so I definitely don't want to munch when i get home! Plenty of stretching, and a hot shower :)
  • erinj16
    erinj16 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My friend owns Muscle Gauge Nutrition & recommended their micellar casein mix. I've got the chocolate & it's like having a shake after a workout & will keep you full for a while too.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Part of your answer depends on what you are recovering from. For example, if you are lifting heavy, most information that I have read suggests consuming between .9 and 1.5 g of protein per pound of body weight, depending on various factors. Here is stronglifts opinion - http://stronglifts.com/protein-daily-needs-myths-best-sources-protein/ . My point here was only to give you a reference for "lots of protein".

Here is what I have done for muscle soreness and have had success related to both weightlifting and things like plyometrics. It works for my body though of course YMMV as we are all different.

When lifting - I take 4.4g of BCAAs and make sure i have had some protein (15g minimum) before lifting. I then take 6.6g more of BCAAs right after lifting with a minimum of 25g of protein. BCAAs are one of the few supplements where I could find positive scientific studies that showed aiding in the reduction of CPK levels (your soreness). I use goole scholar to find study based information. For example, http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/2/538S.short

For plyometric/cardio based stuff - 1)I have to make sure to get enough potassium and hydration to prevent cramping. Hydration has always been easier than potassium for me. Thank goodness for low sodium v8 - I drink one after every hockey game, right away. 2) Once I have the soreness, drinking more and more water helps. Flushing the system for me helps in the recovery for some reason. 3) Invest in a foam roller and/or a massage stick (cheap version - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-18-Massage-Stick/17804154). The foam roller will be better for certain muscles and the maasage stick will be easier to use for others. I learned about these in physical therapy. Note that they will be very painful to use when you are already in pain but they will definitely speed up your recovery process. Be sure to read the instructions on these before you use them as you want to do certain exercises with them in certain ways because of blood clot potential risks. As an aside, I use the massage stick as pre and post workout routine at times when I know my calf is likely to act up. Knowing how my body reacts helps to guide me in this stuff. 3) The BCAAs can also help here but they don't seem to be as effective for me as they are in lifting recovery. I take them before bed with cottage cheese (protein source) to help aid the overnight recovery/rebuild.

Again, just my experience which may or may not work well for you and your body.

if you are really daring, I know people that swear by immediate ice baths after plyometric type things. Later they use the warm bath but the ice bath really kills their DOMS. Sports athletes use it a lot.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to speed up muscle recovery after a hard workout? At the moment I have to take a day off inbetween the 30 day shred each day and I'd really like to get to not beingso sore. Should I just keep at it or drink protein powder or what? I have lots of protein in my diet, eating chicken every day, almost, or some other lean meat.

Get in better shape and you'll be less sore the day after
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Sleep
  • mkm04
    mkm04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My doc said to throw a small bottle of honey in my work out bag, he said to take a small taste of it right after the work out and then follow with protein 30 minutes later. He said the honey triggers the pancreas to release insulin, which is what the muscles need right away after a work out. Then follow with the protein for rebuilding. It doesn't help with the soreness, but just the rebuilding of the muscle. You don't need much, just a taste. He also said to do some caffeine prior to working out. He recommended this to both me and my football playing 15 year old.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    food and sleep
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There's no relationship between protein powder and DOMS
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Muscles...

Torn in the gym
    Fed in the kitchen
    Built in bed

Eat right and sleep well.
  • toots0411
    Options
    Ice bath, fill your tub with cold water and ice and try to soak for atleast 5-10 minutes
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The best thing is 8+ hours of sleep.
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk! Seriously we did a study on it for a research grant to help fund our summer swim club. Chocolate Milk post-workout!