Rocks are hard...

firepixie
firepixie Posts: 65
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Went indoor rock climbing for the first time last night. It was really hard. I knew it would be, but I had no idea how weak and unfit I was. I thought I was in alright shape, but not so much. I am going back next wednesday, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit discouraged. My hands were so tired when I got home, I couldn't wring out the dish cloth :laugh:

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Went indoor rock climbing for the first time last night. It was really hard. I knew it would be, but I had no idea how weak and unfit I was. I thought I was in alright shape, but not so much. I am going back next wednesday, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit discouraged. My hands were so tired when I got home, I couldn't wring out the dish cloth :laugh:

core strength is vital for rock climbing. it's a great workout though.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    We have a rock climbing wall at our complex that we haven't tried out yet. Sounds like it could be fun!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Give it time. Your body will adapt to it.

Think of it like this... the first time someone walks into a gym, they're not bench pressing and squatting 3 plates on each side of the bar.

With rock climbing, you're "asking" your body to control all of your body weight in patterns and positions you're not at all accustomed to. It's going to be *very* challenging.

As your body adapts and you become more efficient, it's become less and less difficult.
  • firepixie
    firepixie Posts: 65
    Thanks for the input. Yes, core strength is key. I feel like my core is made of pudding. I had 2 major abdominal surgeries within 9 months, a couple of years ago. It is hitting me now, how much work I need to do and how much time I have been wasting when I thought I was working out. I am determined to climb those damn hard walls and look good doing it.

P.S. Iceprincess, definitely give it a try. Excellent workout.
This discussion has been closed.