Anybody else to a planned weekly cheat meal?

Options
Every Friday night is my one meal a week where I eat something that's not "perfectly calorie aligned" like the rest of the day/week. Sometimes it's as simple as a cupcake after a meal, or often it's a night out at TGI Fridays for their potato skins and brownie obsession!

So far eating one cheat meal a week (not a whole day like some people do) hasn't hindered my weight loss one bit and really gives me something to look forward to and keeps me on track the rest of the week!

Replies

• Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think cheat meals are a great idea and a good way to not feel deprived...if you can manage them. I cant. A cheat meal rolls over into a cheat day, then a cheat week.
  • tacdusty
    Options
    Have to or else youd prolly snap. Treat yourself.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Sort of. I plan it on my rest days. But I have honestly lost desire or cravings for candies and pastries. My indulgences are yogurt and medjool dates. Although last night I went to apple bees with my friend and had a glass of wine. He had sliders and they smelled pretty good :)
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think cheat meals are a great idea and a good way to not feel deprived...if you can manage them. I cant. A cheat meal rolls over into a cheat day, then a cheat week.

Same here; the attitude of setting out to fail once a month/week/one meal a week puts me in a bad place and I have a hard time getting out of it. However I do make room in my calorie allowance for things like cupcakes and brownies sometimes; I'll just have a spinach salad with balsamic or something low cal for one of my meals that day
  • BeckyJayneGJ
    BeckyJayneGJ Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Honest to God, I have a cheat meal or even entire day every single week I have been doing this (6 months) and I have lost 79 pounds. It helps me keep going and never seems to hold back my losses so go for it!
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    yes, but the term 'cheat' for me is dysfunctional -- i prefer to call it my indulgence meal. Sunblush tomato and cheese pizza - yum! if you indulge at frequent but sensible intervals, and maintain a good weekly deficit, you can stave off serious cravings that can lead to more damaging binges and maintain a healthy rate of weight loss. :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule it.

I just do indulge when i feel like it.

Usually that's about once every couple of weeks.

And I log it.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Hey if it works..go for it. As i get into this..i'm looking at my calorie goals as weekly..why not splurge some days or meals as long as I exercise extra eat under a few days so it all balances out. That is like real life..not toeing the line each and everyday which makes me burn out.
  • leafstucker16
    leafstucker16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to but I find they just derail me too much so I try to stay more on track all the time now
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes I tell myself it's better to cheat on my diet than on my guy. Just kidding. In the past I have always allowed myself intermittent indulgences and I call them cheats. If someone's watching, I just tell them "this is my cheat" and they know not to wag a finger, ask any questions or stare or ask for any. This time around I am doing the slimfast plan. I have managed to usually work indulgent things into the plans calorie structure, HOWEVER the other night I fell so hard off the wagon that I think I was off the road. In the morning I regained my composure. I wouldn't call it a "cheat" as I use the term because it was neither planned nor controlled. It was waahayyyhaaayyyy over calories and so maybe that's a sign I need to incorporate planned "cheats" again to get through. For me a planned cheat would have consisted of at least 1/4 less calories, less guilt, and less yucky feelings and risk of falling off completely. It was a close call but the freedom of eating so much for so many hours and the disheartening amount of calories really created a huge lure into calling the whole thing off. I don't want to be at that precipice again. Ever!
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I do, Fridays unless I mess up during the week and cheat. Fridays has always been pizza night in my house. Get to eat the lovely pizza then back on plan the next day.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I do this, I think of them as refeed days. When I was stricter on my carbs it was my day to eat homemade bread or subway. Or my day to bake a cake or brownies (I love to bake) and have a peice). Trying to be strict all the time drove me bonkers but knowing I had a scheduled time for it makes it easier to adhere on other days.
  • origgodsgift
    Options
    Sooooooo Agree
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For me it's a Sunday, and it's more of a cheat snack the throughout the day than a meal haha. It hasn't hindered me in anyway and it always makes me want to jump back on the healthy food come Monday!