Totally random vegetable question

Options
I'm asking this here because so many of you are admittedly better than me about eating your vegetables. I'm getting better, but I'm still a work in progress. I'm just looking for ideas of BLUE or PURPLE vegetables that would be suitable to include on fresh veggie kabobs for my daughter's rainbow themed birthday party coming up. The fruit kabobs are easy, but the other mom and I that are planning this party - well we're stumped when it comes to the blue and the purple end of our veggie rainbow. I've seen specialty purple carrots, but those can be hard to find. Any ideas? Something people will actually want to eat? We're trying to include some healthy options here for the kids and parents, we're just stumped. Our veggie rainbow kabobs may just end at green.

Replies

• justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Cute idea for a party.
    I've had purple potatoes and they are good. For yellow -- banana squash; I think they might be called crooked necked squash too, similar to zuccini.
  • sublimechik28
    sublimechik28 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    purple onion, eggplant... umm grill some blueberries why not lol
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Most blue/ purple are fruit or are specially bred veggies as you identify. Aubergine (eggplant) is your best bet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eggplant should work on a kabob. Turnips or beets would too if you parboil them first, as they'd probably take longer to cook than the other vegetables.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    they have purple cauliflower in my market...also different lettuces and cabbage are purple. no idea of a blue veggie though.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    All I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is red/purple cabbage but that probably wouldn't work on a kabob...

Nevermind, that was a pretty much useless post. :)

Google search brought up the possibility of purple peppers too but I don't recall ever seeing them at my grocery store. Maybe if you went to an ethnic market or whole foods market with more variety?
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Purple Potatoes - You might need to bake them partially first, they are fairly dense and take longer than most other veggies to cook.

Purple Onions aka Red Onions - Probably easier to find, and if you haven't had them, they are much sweeter when cooked than other onions.

Eggplant

Beets

Purple Cauliflower - Tastes the same as the white
  • pksd
    pksd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How about purple yam. You can find it at most asian supermarkets. Tastes really good too...
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think some varieties of Kohlrabi can be purple or blue. If you can find it
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks, I appreciate the ideas!
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Whole foods and sometimes veggie markets have purplish bell peppers.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'll also say purple potatoes. Might be hard to find in a regular grocery store. I usually buy them at an Asian market. And definitely parboil them so you don't end up with undercooked potatoes and/or overcooked veggies.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I wonder what would happen if you put food coloring in the water and steamed cauliflower?.?.? Or what if you put a bowl of colored water and put the stalk of the cauliflower in it? I wonder if it would soak the dye up or not?.?.? I think I might try this just to see what happens....Science!
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    A great man once said "There is no BLUE food!!!!"
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If we look at the History of food. Blue foods were considered poison. So while we can find many naturally occurring purple foods there are no nadda naturally occuring blue foods in nature. even blue berries are purple. So I might suggest food dye.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    You might be able to find blue skewers and just leave a gap where the non-existent blue food would go....