Eating healthy on a tight budget

Options
2»

Replies

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I blogged on this topic today. I spend about $150 a month on groceries and a typical day is 2-3 servings of fresh fruit; 6-8 servings of fresh or frozen vegetables, and 3 (4 oz.) servings of lean protein - along with other items. You can eat healthy for cheaper than you can eat processed, fast food, of other junk.

To stretch your dollar buy dry beans (kidney, black, etc.) and reconstitute them yourself.

Good luck with your new place!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Homeade Soups that aren't cream based are a great one. Cabbage and Hamburger Soup with Veggies is very low cal, or Chicken Noodle Soup with Zuccini ,Chicken Creole Soup....ones like that make "alot" of food so it goes a longer ways and aren't too expensive.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    These are some of the foods on our grocery list:
    -dried lentils ( you can add some to ground beef for added fiber, make curry, add to soups)
    -chicken (I just buy whatever is the cheapest at the store, skin and all)
    -dried beans (buy several bags of different types. Great for chili, refried beans, meatless burgers)
    -apples/bananas (good for snacks or adding to meals)
    -greens like romaine, cabbage, spinach
    -brown rice (you can even add it as a filler to hamburger patties and meatloaf)
    -whole wheat flour (make your own bread! It's so cheap and much tastier)
    -frozen veggies (cheap and nutritious, add it to everything)
    -canned tomatoes/tomato paste (great for making your own sauces, pizza, soups)
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you are able to shop at different places, then do so is my best advice. I shop at three different stores to make sure I get the best prices I can on things. Staples in my house are pretty basic - eggs, oatmeal, chicken, tinned tuna, veggies and that's about it. For chicken, I buy whatever is cheapest, and if it's out I ask the store for a raincheck so I can go back and buy it later. I will take off the skin, take out the bone, cut it down to portion size pieces, and freeze it for later. You can get frozen veggies - they last longer, and are typically cheaper.

Meal planning really can help if you're on a tight budget too. Find out what you can make that uses the same ingredients so you don't have to buy as much, or so you can reuse the same things the next day. Just play around with food combinations, and you can find some unexpected things can work together well.

Find some short cuts that work for you - pulling apart deli chicken for multiple meals like salads, sandwiches, wraps, soups, fajitas. Canned tomatoes in a blender for sauces, or in place of salsa. Reuse left overs for other things.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Egg McMuffins

Usually cost $3 alone/a la carte/ at McDonalds, currently on sale there for $2.50 each with about 300 calories

Make them at home yourself for $1.13 each with 190 calories and between 5-8g of fiber

Shopping list (just purchased at Walmart today):
    Borden Dairy - Fat Free American Sharp Cheese Singles -- 16 slices @ $2.48 (15.5 cents ea)
    Oscar Meyer lower sodium bacon -- 1# 16-20 slices $4.48 (28 cents ea if 16)
    Thomas 100 calorie muffins -- 6 @ $2.98 (49.6 cents ea)
    Crystal Farms Egg Whites (I saw a cheaper brand there too) 20 servings @ $3.98 (19.9 cents ea)

#1 cook your bacon and drain fat from pan, #2 cook egg and toast muffin. When the egg is fairly solid put your slice of cheese on so it can melt a little. #3 put them all together on the muffin.

McDonalds doesn't have advertised what their McMuffin is with egg whites only, I know you can order them that way. If you don't like processed cheese you can substitute with 1/8 cup of skim milk mozzerella cheese for 10 more calories. I think it tastes better, but my husband prefers when they are more like what mcdonalds makes. Mozzerall cheese is about the same price but I've only seen it in shredded, not in easy premeasured slices.
  • mottmadness
    Options
    Hey There, I completely understand your situation. You might have to sacrifice a little bit of flavor or variations but you can do very well on a limited budget. Here's how I do things when I'm on a budget!

Breakfast
    -eggs (Less than $2/Dozen)
    -Banana (about $0.50/Banana)
    -Whole Wheat Bread ( $2.50/20 slices)
    Total per meal- roughly $1.25

Lunch
    -Natural Peanut Butter (around $4/jar)
    -Honey ($4/jar)
    -Whole Wheat Bread (see above)
    -Cup of Head of Lettuce ($1 per)
    Total per meal- roughly $1

Supper
    -Beanie Weenies or other 300 cal of canned food ($1-2 per)
    -Banana
    -Lettuce
    Total per meal - roughly $2s

Snacks (You pick to complete the amount of calories needed for the day)
    -peanuts ($2-3 dollars/ jar)
    -Banana
    -Honey
    Total per meal - roughly $.50

Basically my total meal cost for these days is around $5 per day. You will find that you will be able to keep things like the honey and peanuts for awhile and most of these items will last you for 4 days. I use this type of meal to eat around 2000calories per day.

If I'm running short on calories, I eat Peanuts. They are full of calories. If I get hungry but don't need a lot of calories, I eat a banana. If I have a sweet tooth, I eat the honey. Two tablespoons makes for 90 calories and a great snack.

I hope you find a meal plan that works great for you and fits in your budget.