Cardio Machines vs. MFP

Hey guys! So I'm wondering if I'm calculating my calories burned correctly during an exercise.

I put all my stats into the workout machine and at the end of the workout it gives me a summary that includes calories burned. But most of the time the calories burned in the summary is less than what MFP shows.

Which one should I log? Anybody find an Android app that helps with this?

Thanks!
Tami

Replies

• cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    The cardio machine should be more accurate, as it takes a lot of various factors into consideration with the calculation. It's recommended to use the numbers from the machines when available.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Hi Tami

I find that the MFP database is usually much higher than the cardio machines I use, I will use the machine calorie count myself because you have put the details in and it knows how much you have worked during that time. When logging through MFP you are putting an amount of time on a machine, you could be walking at 2 mph or jogging at 6mph but still have done 30 minutes.

Just my 2p/2 cents worth. :happy:

Andy
  • tpow1196
    tpow1196 Posts: 51 Member
    :brokenheart: Thats what I figured. LOL

That would explain why I've stalled out in my weight loss lately. :grumble:

Also, do any of use know of a good app or website that tells you how much you burn on a tredmill? I've started using the incline more ( I have to keep my workout low impact) and I want to capture that data.

Thanks!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    The cardio machine should be more accurate, as it takes a lot of various factors into consideration with the calculation. It's recommended to use the numbers from the machines when available.
    I tend to agree, but remember, these are estimates.
    Track your progress and tweak as needed.
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Either way, it's just guesstimates. Log the lower calorie burn because that's probably the most accurate.

The only true way to tell what you burned is with a Heart Rate Monitor, if you're willing to invest.
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Buy a HRM!! Well worth the money spent, especially for those who eat back their calories
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Hey guys! So I'm wondering if I'm calculating my calories burned correctly during an exercise.

I put all my stats into the workout machine and at the end of the workout it gives me a summary that includes calories burned. But most of the time the calories burned in the summary is less than what MFP shows.

Which one should I log? Anybody find an Android app that helps with this?

Thanks!
    Tami
    Hi, I use a heart rate monitor. Love it!
  • Here is when you should rely on the Cardio Machines:

If you actually have to put YOUR current WEIGHT in, and your AGE (and anything additional ie: male/female, height) ect. You will get a more accurate reading.

If you have a cardio machine that you do not have to put any of that info on it's usually based off of a 'standard' size person (whatever that means to the machine manufacturers I do not know) and you should use a workout calculator that you will have to manually put in, again YOUR weight, age, ect. to get the most accurate reading.

Hope that helps :)
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    This is why I bought a HRM. I never knew what was correct!
  • Heart rate monitor....get one!!!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    :brokenheart: Thats what I figured. LOL

That would explain why I've stalled out in my weight loss lately. :grumble:

Also, do any of use know of a good app or website that tells you how much you burn on a tredmill? I've started using the incline more ( I have to keep my workout low impact) and I want to capture that data.

Thanks!

Most treadmills should have that information built into their programming. Since many people will vary the incline on a treadmill, along with the speed, go by the numbers on the treadmill. Just make sure to put in your weight for the most accurate caloric burn.

It's my understanding that age only matters when you are trying to keep your heart rate at a certain percentage of max. to hit a certain cardo zone.

There are quite a few apps for outdoor walking/running, but I don't know if they take hills into consideration. I believe they mostly go by distance,(using gps) and your weight.

Edited to add: If you are doing inclines, try not to hold on to anything, as holding on will reduce the work your body has to do, and throw off your numbers.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    I use an elliptical. After 35-40 minutes it tells me that I have burned 500-550 calories. I do not trust it entirely- but I feel it is more accurate then a generic website (the machine actually reads my energy in, distance, resistance levels, etc). Before the elliptical, I do about 25 minutes of stability ball work. So- I subtract about 50 cals from what the machine says and estimate that btwn the elliptical and stability, the number should be fairly accurate.
  • tpow1196
    tpow1196 Posts: 51 Member
    lol looks like i need to research a heart rate monitor. I do put my stats into the machine :) So I will use it then.

*off to google fitbit*
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    lol looks like i need to research a heart rate monitor. I do put my stats into the machine :) So I will use it then.

*off to google fitbit*

I love my Polar FT4
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

*off to google fitbit*

If you are looking at HRMs, I recommend reading this first:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I use an elliptical. After 35-40 minutes it tells me that I have burned 500-550 calories. I do not trust it entirely- but I feel it is more accurate then a generic website (the machine actually reads my energy in, distance, resistance levels, etc). Before the elliptical, I do about 25 minutes of stability ball work. So- I subtract about 50 cals from what the machine says and estimate that btwn the elliptical and stability, the number should be fairly accurate.

The problem with ellipticals is that every manufacturer has their own unique movement design. Therefore, unlike for treadmills, there is NO single energy prediction equation that can be applied to all ellipticals. To be accurate, each manufacturer would have to develop their own machine-specific algorithm, and then do their own validation studies. That requires a lot more work and $$ than most manufacturers are willing to spend and more expertise and facilities than most manufacturers have. The only company that even attempts this is Life Fitness, and they have only done it on their latest models (the model most commonly used in health clubs has older algorithms that will overestimate calories also).

Here is some additional info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/estimating-calories-activity-databases-198041
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Polar all the way!! I love my FT4
  • cocoqt
    cocoqt Posts: 4
    I would agree that you should buy a HRM. For the last 8 months, I have relied on the information in MFP to determine how many calories I was burning during a 30 minute workout on the elliptical. My weight loss has proceeded VERY slowly. I couldn't understand why because I was burning about 500+ calories everyday (according to MFP) and eating about 1800. I was losing weight but it was painfully slow.

Over the holidays, I bought a Polar FT4. I loaded in all the appropriate information and started my workout. After thirty minutes, I had only burned 250 calories according to the HRM. All this time, I thought I had been burning twice as much!!! According to the elliptical, I was only burning about 150 after 30 minutes.

So, my advice would be to buy an HRM if you can afford it. I'm glad I did. I seriously though something was medically wrong with me because my weight loss had been so slow. Come to find out, I wasn't burning as many calories as I thought I was. So now, I stay in the gym and do either the elliptical, the treadmill or the stationary bike (or all three!) until I've burned at least 500 calories - based on my HRM.