Paleo/Primal Eating Feeling a Sense of Euphoria

Options
I have been fervently researching and reading all I can about the primal/paleo way of eating and it makes so much sense. I am still learning how to eat and what to eat and such and will eventually find a balance of what works for me but I have been limiting my carbs to around 100g a day and still counting calories. Prior to even considering losing the weight and changing what I eat I was a huge sugar addict. Restricting my carbs has essentially eliminated those cravings but I am having an odd side effect. I was wondering if anyone else has felt a sense of euphoria and what may be the cause of this? I am generally eating meats, fresh veggies, eggs. No refined carbs or sugars although I will have a bit of honey in my tea or coffee occasionally. I have only been doing this for maybe the past 3-5 days.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It's probably just a matter of you being happy with and excited about your diet.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Nothing major here, but I am less grumpy and slightly happier during the day. Not to say I am always grumpy but I find my mood stays more even and positive while keeping my wheat and sugar consumption low. I usually hit 50-100gm of carbs a day. I still do some dairy, so I am not strict but I feel amazing eating this way as opposed to the S.A.D.

ETA: my husband even commented on my seeming very cheerful lately as opposed to a bit of moodiness I was suffering before Christmas. He has done the same before when I was in a carb tracking mode. I never point out my diet changes to him but he definatly noticed a corelation.
  • ericmooney69
    Options
    i think what you are feeling is what you are SUPPOSED to be feeling. No longer in a fog due to all that processed food. I am 99% vegan but at one time was more "Paleo" (hate that term). I felt the same way. When I fall off the wagon for a big feast or whatever, I always feel out of sorts. So yeah.....enjoy feeling like this almost every day!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's probably just a matter of you being happy with and excited about your diet.

This ^^ Plus the detox or cleansing affect. I would think anyone that trades eating too much junk for eating healthier would feel better, no matter what the macronutrient breakdown.
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Nothing major here, but I am less grumpy and slightly happier during the day. Not to say I am always grumpy but I find my mood stays more even and positive while keeping my wheat and sugar consumption low. I usually hit 50-100gm of carbs a day. I still do some dairy, so I am not strict but I feel amazing eating this way as opposed to the S.A.D.

ETA: my husband even commented on my seeming very cheerful lately as opposed to a bit of moodiness I was suffering before Christmas. He has done the same before when I was in a carb tracking mode. I never point out my diet changes to him but he definatly noticed a corelation.

Yes I have noticed this change in my mood also. I feel less tired too. I used to be tired as soon as I woke up no matter how much sleep I had the night before. Now I feel awake all day and don't get that "I NEED a nap NOW" feeling. It's just odd though to feel slightly "high" from just changing the way I eat.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I've been Paleo since 1 jan and I too can tell my mood swings have gotten tons better. I tell everyone I'm a grumpy old biker.. but that doesnt seem to be the case any more. I'm a lot less irratable with the wife and kids, more apt to help around the house (more energy) and i dont have those 2 or 5 oclock crashes like i used too. I dont know why but its got to be becasure my blood sugars have leveled out and I'm not going through peaks and valleys like i did. I love it so far.. and I'm down 11 lbs since 1/1/13.