• Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Is nothing sacred?

^^This.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Well I used mashed up bananas in all kinds of recipes and one involves using rice crispie cereal and raw oatmeal and a little pb and some dried fruit or even choc chips. It never gets brown or gross. Tastes great too.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My husband buys them in a box and they're 90 calories each which isn't bad for a snack if you can be happy with eating just one.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Elmer's glue & egg white.

Edit to add: and splenda; thought that would go without saying, but splenda. or stevia.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well I used mashed up bananas in all kinds of recipes and one involves using rice crispie cereal and raw oatmeal and a little pb and some dried fruit or even choc chips. It never gets brown or gross. Tastes great too.

• bemott
    Options
    That person is making fun of the add about bananas making you fat, right? Don't always get the sarcasm here. I eat at least a banana a day and have lost 100 lbs.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows are marshmallows. There is no substitute. Sorry. :ohwell:

Maybe make your own mashmallows with splenda or truvia? I don't even know if that's possible. Never seen a recipe.
  • bemott
    Options
    Also you can marshmallows aren't that high in calories, you can reduce the calories by not using butter. Just use the melted marshmallow.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Snack-girl did a post on making these healthier

http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/healthy-rice-krispie-treat/

It's mostly doctoring the recipe but it's a step in the right direction I suppose.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I make mine from scratch. Butter, marshmallows, and rice cereal. Luckily I don't eat them. Since we're trying to be more careful about sugary treats in our household there's more fuit and less cookies and rice krispie treat sorts of things. It's really upsetting my DH because he loves that sort of thing but got read the riot act by his doctor in September. He's lost over 30 pounds though. 40 or so to go.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    For some reason I developed a love affair with those things after my 2nd DD was born. I kid you not, I had the lunch people at the hospital delivering me 3 or 4 at a time! They were laughing at me by the end of my stay there.

That being said, there is no substitute. If you really love them, even the cheapo knock off ones aren't as good. While they are mostly empty carby sugary calories, they actually aren't a bad choice for a sweet treat. They are fairly low in fat and calories for the volume you get. If you love them, work one into your day every now and then. Don't accept a low quality substitute or you will just feel deprived.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Elmer's glue & egg white.

Edit to add: and splenda; thought that would go without saying, but splenda. or stevia.

I love this, I usually serve them on a small square of cardboard as an extra treat!
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You could try replacing the cereal with a healthier one, like a kashi cereal or bran cereal. And you can replace the butter with coconut oil/butter. And for the chocolatey drizzle, try dark chocolate or nutella. But, I do not think the marshmallow are replaceable.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I say eat them in moderaton as a treat to yourself. They make the snack sized ones that are half the size as the regular packaged ones. Instead of making them yourself and ending up eating the whole batch, these would be a better alternative.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rice-krispies-treats-mini-squares-i132863
    45 calories a square.

0003800071567_500X500.jpg
    180 a serving, 4 bars in a serving.