Protein

amelia_atlantic
amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I know this may be a silly question, but is it bad to get too much protein?
I've already gone over my goal today in protein with just breakfast (cottage cheese) and lunch (fake chicken and spinach) but my calories consumed are very low.

I have been working out a lot so I feel like this isn't a terrible thing. Are there any disadvantages to eating too much protein?

Thanks y'all!

Replies

• Try not to exceed 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. That is what we generally recommend as a 'safe' amount of protien. So if I weigh 140 lbs, I divide 140 by 2.2 to get 63.6, then multiply 63.6 by 2.0 to get 127.3g protein. Hope this helps!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    If you keep your protein between 15 to 30 g with every meal, that would be better for you. Too much protein can be bad. Plug in what you are going to eat for tomorrow so you can see where your protein count is and adjust if necessary.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    You are fine as long as you are not going over massively like in the 100's
  • how can to much be bad??? what will it do??
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    There are disadvangages, but you need to eat quite a lot. The protein numbers in MFP are quite low. They should be considered minimums not maximums. Your maximum should be one gram of protein for every pound in your goal weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    how can to much be bad??? what will it do??

If calories from protein exceed 35% of your total there can be health issues, after a prolonged period of such a diet. I believe there could be kidney or liver issues with too much protein. Anyway MFP sets protein at 15% I believe so you could double that amount and be okay.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    if over 35% is too much then everyone who follows a or a 20-50-30 plan would be in big trouble. (fast oxidizers) so I think maybe your facts are a little off.
  • Here we go: "The Dangers of Having Too Much Protein" http://www.nwhealth.edu/healthyU/eatWell/protein_1.html

Highlights:

*If you are eating too much protein and not enough carbohydrates, it is likely you are not eating enough fiber. Low intake of fiber can cause constipation, and may contribute to the development of hemorrhoids, diverticulosis, polyps, colon cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.

*High protein intake is also associated with an increased risk of osteoporosis due to calcium loss. When protein is digested, amino acids break apart and pass into the blood making the blood slightly acidic. Since your body needs to have a balanced pH level, calcium is pulled from the bones to neutralize acidity. Therefore, the more protein you have in your diet, the more acidic your blood will be and the more calcium that will be needed. Animal proteins (i.e. meats) are the main culprit of this cycle; grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits act as calcium savers.

I had researched this sort of thing and discussed it with my neurologist a few years ago when we were examining my diet (chronic migraine sufferer, didn't have much to do with my diet though). I am vegetarian and was concerned about having enough protein. He told me that most Americans get 3x the protein that the body needs. And that osteoporosis is linked MUCH more to excessive protein than to a lack of calcium--because of what is explained in the article highlights above. I get 45-90 each day, depending on workouts.
  • And a followup: http://www.nwhealth.edu/healthyU/eatWell/protein_2.html "How Much Protein You Really Need"

Based on these calculations, this is what it has for me:

163 lbs. / 2.2=74.1kg

74.1 * .8=59.28 grams of protein per day

So it's recommended that for me, at 163 pounds, to eat about 60 grams of protein per day.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    IMO a good rule of thumb is 1g per 1lb of your goal weight.

My goal weight would be 175lbs, so I would try to aim for 175grams of protein a day.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Thanks! That's very helpful.

MFP has me at very low protein so I think I'm okay!
This discussion has been closed.