Push up alternative

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm doing new rules of lifting for women by have injured my wrist, making push-ups painful. Anyone have an alternative exercise that doesn't put so much pressure on your wrist I could do for a bit?

Thanks!

Replies

• jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    Maybe try the pushups using dumbbells (preferably ones that have a flat edge so they don't roll around with you!). So your wrists will be straight?

I had a cyst removed from my wrist right after stage one of nrol4w so I feel your pain - I just stayed away from pushups for a while.

Good luck!
  • cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah I tried the dumbbell method today. Was okay for the first set, but it wasn't great for my lower back? Some kind of form problem obviously. Thanks for the advice! :)
  • Shinamura
    Options
    I still sometimes do half push-ups (on the knees) which, while not having the same fantastic effect as a full push-up, keeps you using most of the same muscles I think.

You could also try doing them with your hands on the stairs, basically anything which isn't making you go down as far as a full push-up.

I must confess though, I originally read your post as 'lifting women', which could be an interesting new form of weight training :p

Finally on a serious note, if it hurts of course stop doing it. I've done a lot of Aikido in the past which involved a lot of wrist locks and techniques, so some of these techniques will help strengthen your wrists;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6nS7F8ospQ

Alternatively just search for Aikido Wrist Excercises

Hope this helps and good luck with your goals ;)

James
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    bench press
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Pushups using dumbbells, or pushup bars would be my recommendation. Try doing them again and seeing if the back issue is recurrent or a one time thing.

If not, then does a barbell bother you? If not, switch to the bench press.

Better yet, do both. I do a bench press followed by pushups on the same day.

If that's still bothering you, maybe machines / cable machines might be better?
  • cstexas2012
    cstexas2012 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think any kind of pushup is probably going to be a problem because it's so much weight on it, but maybe bench press would be better, I'll give it a try.