Should I be eating my additional calories earned???

Options
So let me get this right...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

According to the (above) posting, we should be eating our exercise calories. Is this why I have yet to see my scale change within the past few days. I'm allowed 1200 calories a day an run every night, adding additional calories. Has anyone else read this, is this what you get from the post too?
That we should be eating our exercise calories!!!

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! (at least most).
  • Ladybug610
    Ladybug610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat my exercise calories (it's one of my motivations to be able to eat more lol)

I'd say that if you are exercising, eat better and are only eating 1200 cals AND not losing weight, you may have put your body into starvation mode. Meaning that you aren't getting enough fuel for all you activity so the body is holding on to what it does have.

Try increasing your caloiries intake (with good food of coarse) and see if that helps!\

Good Luck on your Journey (and getting a straight answer. there are Many differing opinions on this one :tongue:
  • dc4220
    dc4220 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi! I asked my personal trainer the same question and he told me not to eat them. He told me that if I want to see weight loss I need to stick to my original 1200 (not any additional "earned"). Otherwise it is like you are on maintenance. FYI...Since I changed to that philosophy I have seen rapid weight loss this past week...almost a pound a day. ::flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Yes, you should eat them.

dc4220 - Not healthy at all to lose a pound a day, not at all. Especially when you only weigh like 118 pounds. Unless you're 3 feet tall... Rethink what you are doing, or at least ask a doctor.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them! =)
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    I try to eat at least half of them. I want to lose weight gradually. Slow and steady wins the race. You need to refuel your body otherwise it will go into starvation mode
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Trainers are not nutritionists.

If you are eating 1200 and then exercising, you should eat all of them back. If you're eating 1400 and then exercising, you need to eat back enough so that you are at 1200 net calories for the day. You can have success eating 600 calories a day, but it is completely inadvisable.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Yep- you should be eating them.

Some people only eat half of them, and that works for them, but you gotta play with it and find out what works for you =)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    IF you talk to your trainer, please be sure to tell them you are already on a deficit at MFP. THe reason MFP adds the exercise calories back is to maintain the (healthy) deficit you need in order to meet your weight loss goals. Your PT will not know this unless you tell them.
  • dc4220
    Options
    I am eating 1200 just not any additional I earn. And I feel great too. This is temporary as I had plateaued following the 1200 and was not able to lose these last 5 (belly fat) over the last 5 months which i now have been able to do. Thanks for all your concern tho everyone. I appreciate the input. It was just a suggestion about something that has worked for me.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Hi! I asked my personal trainer the same question and he told me not to eat them. He told me that if I want to see weight loss I need to stick to my original 1200 (not any additional "earned"). Otherwise it is like you are on maintenance. FYI...Since I changed to that philosophy I have seen rapid weight loss this past week...almost a pound a day. ::flowerforyou:

The majority of the time if a well-qualified and educated trainer told you not to eat them, it is because you didn't explain it correctly. MFP sets you at an automatic calorie deficit. If you don't eat your exercise calories (at least some of them), you may be creating too large of a deficit (which is potentially dangerous).

I'm a case in point. Wasn't eating my exercise calories because I was very obese and could get away with it (I had lots of extra fat for my body to use for fuel). Well, after I lost 50 pounds, I slammed into a wall and the scale wouldn't budge. I started eating half my exercise calories. Voila. After a couple weeks of eating more I started losing weight again (and I'm starting to gain momentum -- almost losing at the same rate I was before!).

Seriously, why would we lie to you? :laugh:
  • dc4220
    Options
    I totally agree. This is not something I am going to live by. It was a way to see success and have a break through.

Thanks for the support :)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1200 just not any additional I earn. And I feel great too. This is temporary as I had plateaued following the 1200 and was not able to lose these last 5 (belly fat) over the last 5 months which i now have been able to do. Thanks for all your concern tho everyone. I appreciate the input. It was just a suggestion about something that has worked for me.

Unless you're creating a deficit of 3500 calories a day, you're not losing a pound of fat each day. And, if you're creating a 3500 calorie deficit each day so close to your goal weight, that's insanely unhealthy. So, in reality, a lot of it is most likely water weight, which is a good thing (and you'll lose inches too, because you're not bloated anymore!). :flowerforyou:

It's important to try your best not to steer someone else in a potentially hazardous and unhealthy direction when you're posting on a public forum.
  • dc4220
    Options
    Just a bit more info so you know where I am coming from as I don't post ofter. I started here about a year ago at 134 and did most of my cals gradually over the year. I just needed a way to get that last 5 off. My PT is very aware of where my details and is pretty good with the nutrition. I am sure to eat something like carbs /proteins before my workout and then a micronutrient smoothie after.

You guys are great ! Thanks.
  • dc4220
    Options

It's important to try your best not to steer someone else in a potentially hazardous and unhealthy direction when you're posting on a public forum.

Sorry.....:embarassed:

That was not my intention.