5.2 Diet?

Options
I'm not usually for fad diets, or fasting or anything like that, although I have read a very lot of really interesting and good stories about this diet. Ive read through the majority of Amazons 90 something reviews about it haha ;)

Just to sum up quickly if you don't already know, its a diet which consists of fasting (only eating 600 calories) for 2 days a week, and then you can eat. 'whatever you want' obviously within reason on the other 5 days. By allowing yourself to eat whatever you want, apparently it was found in studies that people don't crave high fat foods etc because it isn't being 'naughty'. Guess that does make sense?

I found this article very very interesting, my instant thought was, dangerous, research and stories does seem to say otherwise.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

Just wondering if people are available to take a little bit of time to have a read about it and let me know what they think. Or if anyone has tried it...

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    OOOOR, you could eat at a reasonable calorie deficit EVERYDAY and lose weight. I'd do a search for "intermittent fasting" on here and see what people say, I'm not a fan of it, but there are reasonable one's it seems.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I agree I'm not a fan of it either, and I also agree about the normal calorie limit everyday too... But I'm always open to something else, considering the other 'health benefits' mentioned by a lot of people that have done it and been monitored by doctors throughout.

Could also be a helpful tool when at a plateau!
  • karenb125
    karenb125 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have read about this and it is meant to be very good for you healthwise.

I think with any kind of diet though, what is most important is how you feel doing it yourself. I think the best diet is one that suits your lifestlye, keeps you healthy and makes you feel good.

Why not try it and let us know how it goes for you?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Another way to intermittent fast is only eat during certain hours. I start at ten and quit at six.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options
    Gonna give it a think for sure!
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options
    I have read about this and it is meant to be very good for you healthwise.

I think with any kind of diet though, what is most important is how you feel doing it yourself. I think the best diet is one that suits your lifestlye, keeps you healthy and makes you feel good.

Why not try it and let us know how it goes for you?

Im glad it isn't just me that has heard good stuff about this! I very much agree with it. Even when I eat at a very reasonable indeed calorie deficit for the week, I can still feel groggy and a bit run down SOMETIMES, only sometimes, and thats eating healthy too, lots of fruit and veg and water.

Think I'm going to have a go at it. Even if I only keep at it for a month or so, it can't do any harm! Will keep you posted, if you are interested ;)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    make sure you're drinking enough water
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm not usually for fad diets, or fasting or anything like that, although I have read a very lot of really interesting and good stories about this diet. Ive read through the majority of Amazons 90 something reviews about it haha ;)

Just to sum up quickly if you don't already know, its a diet which consists of fasting (only eating 600 calories) for 2 days a week, and then you can eat. 'whatever you want' obviously within reason on the other 5 days. By allowing yourself to eat whatever you want, apparently it was found in studies that people don't crave high fat foods etc because it isn't being 'naughty'. Guess that does make sense?

I found this article very very interesting, my instant thought was, dangerous, research and stories does seem to say otherwise.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

Just wondering if people are available to take a little bit of time to have a read about it and let me know what they think. Or if anyone has tried it...

How are you going to get all the nutrients your body needs by faking a famine two days a week and eating whatever you want the other days? The only way that is possible is if you happen to dislike all refined/ processed foods and adore oily fish, veggies, seeds and lentils.

The author of that article cites an athlete's diet which seems to include healthy wholefoods, and his own 600 calorie day which again is largely healthy wholefoods albeit not balanced. It's likely got more nutrients and certainly less rubbish in that day than the standard British 2000-2500 calorie diet (we average a third of a serving of oily fish a week and three servings of fruit and veg a day). He admits to eating too much meat before and was presumably overeating in general to need to lose weight so could simply be eating healthier. The ongoing study he refers to compares a low fat and a high fat diet and the latter group were unhappy, so the participants were not eating 'whatever they want'.

With many of these diets it depends what the 'control' is and how the 'rules' are interpreted by the participants. IME (work in lifestyle healthcare) most people end up combining restrictive diets with personal tastes, they aren't permitted to eat grains and pulses and they don't like nuts and seeds, or decide that paleo means eating unlimited highly processed meats but not fish.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Meh...I'm pretty sure those 2 days per week would be the worst days of my life...which would mean I would have the worst day of my life twice per week until I gave up the diet...which would really suck *kitten*.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options

How are you going to get all the nutrients your body needs by faking a famine two days a week and eating whatever you want the other days? The only way that is possible is if you happen to dislike all refined/ processed foods and adore oily fish, veggies, seeds and lentils.

The author of that article cites an athlete's diet which seems to include healthy wholefoods, and his own 600 calorie day which again is largely healthy wholefoods albeit not balanced. It's likely got more nutrients and certainly less rubbish in that day than the standard British 2000-2500 calorie diet (we average a third of a serving of oily fish a week and three servings of fruit and veg a day). He admits to eating too much meat before and was presumably overeating in general to need to lose weight so could simply be eating healthier. The ongoing study he refers to compares a low fat and a high fat diet and the latter group were unhappy, so the participants were not eating 'whatever they want'.

With many of these diets it depends what the 'control' is and how the 'rules' are interpreted by the participants. IME (work in lifestyle healthcare) most people end up combining restrictive diets with personal tastes, they aren't permitted to eat grains and pulses and they don't like nuts and seeds, or decide that paleo means eating unlimited highly processed meats but not fish.

I could quite happily eat a bowl of roasted veggies and fish, or a salad in the summer everyday! Vegetable soup is one of my winter favourites. I do understand your point, but you have no idea of my eating habits or my likes/dislikes. I wouldn't be considering/taking an interest in the diet if the thought of healthy food repulsed me.

On 'food' days, I am not planning on eating a Burger King for every meal of the day. (as much as I probably could haha). I will continue to eat balanced and healthy foods although with the ability to cheat a bit... That's a mental thing for me. I struggle to keep focused when I see I've gone over my calorie limit 2 days a week. Hence, why I'm back after christmas and trying to find an alternative.

I understand the points against it, but I've also done a hell of a lot of research that's telling me its worth a shot. It's not for everyone, I get that, and don't go thinking its an easy way out for me, because it isn't. Nor am I pro eating disorders. There is a happy medium!
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    Options
    Meh...I'm pretty sure those 2 days per week would be the worst days of my life...which would mean I would have the worst day of my life twice per week until I gave up the diet...which would really suck *kitten*.

Hahaha! fair point. different people, different perspectives i guess.
    I think that would actually be really beneficial for me. Guess thats just the way I work mentally.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Many people will instantly pooh pooh this without researching it at all. I suggest obtaining a copy of the BBC/Horizon documentary 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer' with Michael Mosley and watching it first.

It goes into the detail of how intermittent fasting affects the hormones in the body in a good way - switching them from simply reproducing/duplicating to repair mode and touches briefly on fasting history in religion. He also released a book recently called 'The Fast Diet'.

It is really interesting and I hope to adopt this way of life too. So far I am awesome at the 'feast' days!

I expect once I am no longer on holiday the 'fast' days will be much easier to do as I will be busy.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    it will work, provided that you are in an overall calorie deficit. Which begs the question, why not just do a normal calorie deficit every day instead of starving x times per week?

This "diet" also fails the "can I do this for the rest of my life" litmus test.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I do the Alternate Day Diet or JUDDD. It's basically 500 calories or less every other day and "normal" calories the alternating days. I've been doing it over a year, have lost over 100 pounds, have no issues with energy, all my labs are fantastic, and I feel great. I'm surprised there's so much negativity around the concept. It's quite healthy, and in fact has been shown to decrease inflammation, improve asthma and arthritis, increase longevity, lead to a general feeling of wellness, etc. I'd recommend watching the BBC Horizon special (I can't remember the exact name, but it's something like Eat, Fast, Live Longer (?)) The reporter looks at several different fasting and semi-fasting methods and ultimately goes with 5:2.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    I can, and I will. :happy:

ETA: I meant to quote the post re: litmus test.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Unless you are going to maintain some sort of 5.2 schedule for the rest of your life, don't bother. "Diets" fail because they aren't sustainable over time. If you can't see yourself eating that way forever, don't do it.

Eat less, and move more, 7 days a week. Focus on single ingredient items (fruits, veggies, lean meats) and stay out of the center of the grocery store (traditionally where the crap food is located). When you are selecting food, ask yourself, how is this benefiting me nutritionally? If you make healthy choices MOST of the time and eat in moderation, you will lose weight and maintain it over time.

Perhaps talk to a nutritionist in your area about a good plan for you? I gave you a description of what's working for me, but I'm no professional.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    Many people will instantly pooh pooh this without researching it at all. I suggest obtaining a copy of the BBC/Horizon documentary 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer' with Michael Mosley and watching it first.

It goes into the detail of how intermittent fasting affects the hormones in the body in a good way - switching them from simply reproducing/duplicating to repair mode and touches briefly on fasting history in religion. He also released a book recently called 'The Fast Diet'.

It is really interesting and I hope to adopt this way of life too. So far I am awesome at the 'feast' days!

I expect once I am no longer on holiday the 'fast' days will be much easier to do as I will be busy.

This, exactly.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My new 5.2 diet is no alcohol for 2 days a week not starving for 2 days.:noway:
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I do the Alternate Day Diet or JUDDD. It's basically 500 calories or less every other day and "normal" calories the alternating days. I've been doing it over a year, have lost over 100 pounds, have no issues with energy, all my labs are fantastic, and I feel great. I'm surprised there's so much negativity around the concept. It's quite healthy, and in fact has been shown to decrease inflammation, improve asthma and arthritis, increase longevity, lead to a general feeling of wellness, etc. I'd recommend watching the BBC Horizon special (I can't remember the exact name, but it's something like Eat, Fast, Live Longer (?)) The reporter looks at several different fasting and semi-fasting methods and ultimately goes with 5:2.

Hi MFP friend. I think this is much better and more sustainable plan than 5.2. You are awesome with how you've stuck with it and your weight loss is amazing! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My new 5.2 diet is no alcohol for 2 days a week not starving for 2 days.:noway:

Meh...I'm pretty sure those 2 days per week would be the worst days of my life...which would mean I would have the worst day of my life twice per week until I started drinking again...which would really suck *kitten*.