Do you need to lift weights when you are very overweight?

Options
I'm not sure exactly how much weight I want to lose but it's significant, maybe 200lbs. My doctor and others just say cardio, cardio, cardio to get the weight off. Should I also be lifting weights or is that not important until an initial 100 lbs is off or so?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking in terms of body composition, lifting is always more important than cardio. True story.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit leads to weight loss. You can do that with diet alone, or diet and exercise. If you chose exercise, cadio and strength training affect the body differently, but both burn cals and will help you get into a deficit if that's your goal.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking in terms of body composition, lifting is always more important than cardio. True story.
    Great. Because she clearly stated having body comp goals.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You don't need to but you should.

This woman here is a badass: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nz_deevaa
    She's lifting heavy and (to my knowledge) has been for awhile.

Mix it up and enjoy your workouts so you don't dread it.
    Cardio only can get really boring (to some), and weights only can get boring (to some).
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I focused 100% on cardio. I had a goal in mind - get the weight off. Once I got a lot of the weight off, I started with more of a cross training (combining weights AND cardio). For me, weight loss only comes with cardio. But, I definitely wanted the weight side of it once I was thinner so I could have a leaner look to me. Different people will likely tell you different things. You'll get the anti-cardio people who tell you that cardio isn't necessary. There will be people who do both (like me) and people who only want to do cardio.

In all honesty, none of them are "right" or "wrong" - it all depends on YOUR goals.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    YES Lift weights! It "burns fat" too. Plus it will eventually help you burn fat faster.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Cardio never seems to help me lose much for weight. Lifting does. I love to lift. Give it a try!
  • FullOfWin
    Options

Not sure if srs
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There are four sources of calories: protein, carbs, fat, alcohol.
    Your body uses these for different things (alcohol not so much).
    If your body doesn't need what you give it, it will turn to fat.

Protein is used, among other things, to rebuild/repair muscles after you tear them up lifting weights. Don't lift weights, and your body doesn't need as much protein. Therefore, you are more likely to turn protein into fat.

Carbohydrates, among other things, is used to replenish glycogen, and important fuel source. Don't do cardio (or other anaerobic exercises) and your body doesn't use as much glycogen. Therefor, you are more likely to turn carbohydrates into fat.

Fat is already fat :) Your body needs some for maintenance. The rest is used as fat.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    cardio is very important for fat loss when you are bigger. you want to balance with strength training so you don't lose too much muscle, but that being said, the effects of muscle loss won't occur until you have come down in weight....I would say once you hit 25% body fat, you should think about weight lifting....but why not start them both and build up experience. I don't think you will "lose" time by adding strength training (ie - I don't think your fat loss rate will decrease, although your weight loss may decrease as you won't be losing as much muscle) - although you won't build (much) muscle on a caloric deficit I think it will still stoke your metabolism during non-workout times. most people (like me) who ask this question just don't like weights - but cardio and weights go hand in hand w/ eating healthy and at a deficit. others advocate only active weight training (like circuits w/o much rest). But, in my opinion you would be foolish to neglect the fat reducing gains from cardio (as well as the heart healthy gains).
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly how much weight I want to lose but it's significant, maybe 200lbs. My doctor and others just say cardio, cardio, cardio to get the weight off. Should I also be lifting weights or is that not important until an initial 100 lbs is off or so?

Most important is to just do what motivates you to be active. Cardio is the most effective way to burn calories while doing it, so I would spend 2/3rds of your time doing that. Weight lifting will improve your lean muscle mass (make sure you don't skimp on the protein) which will help you burn more calories overall. Definitely do both.

I'll burn over 350 calories in 30 minutes of running. I'm lucky to burn half that lifting weights and it's probably closer to 1/3rd depending on how I'm lifting. Working in some lifting will also break up the routine of the gym and keep it from being stagnant. You'll be amazed at your strength improvement if you work at it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Stop hogging all the threads with your good information!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It's true you don't need to exercise at all to lose weight but your body will burn a combination of muscle and fat for energy. You should weight train in order to keep the muscle you have.

You'll lose more weight with weight training. Adding muscle mass increases the amount of calories your body burns when you're doing nothing. It will give you a great boost toward your weight loss goals.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

Stop hogging all the threads with your good information!

Sorry. Bored at work bruh.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Can't hurt to try! It's better to tone as you go.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

:laugh:

kelso-burn-240x180.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You don't need to but you should.

This woman here is a badass: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nz_deevaa
    She's lifting heavy and (to my knowledge) has been for awhile.

Mix it up and enjoy your workouts so you don't dread it.
    Cardio only can get really boring (to some), and weights only can get boring (to some).

YES!
    Here's her thread about it, too:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824518-fat-girl-dead-lifting?hl=fat+girl+deadlifting

The answer is you'll get to your goals faster and have better results if you start lifting yesterday.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have done strength training and cardio throughout the whole thing and the only thing I can say is that I look better now at 163 than I did 5 years ago at 155 when all I was doing was cardio.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Losing 100 lbs is clearly a body composition goal.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Here is my recipe for success.
    1. Eat at a deficit of TDEE. (Figure it out for yourself or let MFP do the work for you.)
    2. Lift heavy weights (as heavy as you can with good form: deadlift, squat, and bench press. Do a minimum of a 5x5).
    3. Do 30 mins 3 x per week of cardio (like Kettlebells, Treadmill, stationary bike or a combo of the three. I usually mix mine up).

You will lose weight and you can eat real food, including bacon and fried chicken. It is all about the DEFICIT. AND you will look amazing.