Newbie question - Exercise Diary issue

Hi all,

I hope this isn't too much of a 'head-desk' question for you all on here, but I'm new to mfp and have a question regarding the exercise diary.

One of the 'cardiovascular' options includes strength or weight training where you earn calories, but then below is the 'strength training' section that asks for reps and weights - but earns you no calories for the day. What's the difference? Why don't I accumulate calories burned through inputting into the 'strength training' section, especially if I'm keeping my heart rate up? I'm not asking whether or not strength training with a high heart rate is the same as cardiovascular training, just why the weight training I do doesn't count towards my daily calories earned burned.

Thanks for any help offered.

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    i don't really know why they don't count calories when you put in reps and sets. i always just log my weightlifting as cardio to get the calorie credit, and i log my rep and set data on fitocracy.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Strength option is just to use as a journal so you can track your progression; Estimating calories from strength training contains too many variables to provide a calorie burn. You can use the cardio option for strength training but it's a wild guess.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    i don't really know why they don't count calories when you put in reps and sets. i always just log my weightlifting as cardio to get the calorie credit, and i log my rep and set data on fitocracy.

I completely second Fito. When I first joined I logged my exercise in both places, but now I've found that's just too time consuming, and not all the exercises I do are listed on MFP. The two aren't linked or anything, so it won't count your calories type deal for you. Not much help, but Fitocracy is definitely a wonderful thing!
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    You can also wear a heart rate monitor. Use the info from the monitor to get your calorie burn calculation.
  • Hi all,

Thanks for responding - I later realised this is sort of answered in the FAQ and felt silly for asking, but getting your responses is helpful.
    I do wear a heart rate monitor, and I know for sure I'm only in the mid-range most of the time. Maybe I'll try to play it safe and only add on 100 or so extra calories for weight-training days, with a bit more protein. I don't think the cario allowances they give here seem unreasonably high, but it has to be a crap-shoot so probably best not to rely on it too much. Cheers!