Adapting bread recipe - help!

Options
Daresie
Daresie Posts: 41 Member
Our family has a favorite roll dough recipe and I want to make it and be able to eat one now and then without messing up my whole day's intake. It is a refrigerated roll dough - the killer calories come from 2/3 cup shortening, 2 eggs, and 7 cups of flour. Obviously, I can't make it without the flour, I could try using one egg rather than 2, but what about all that fat? In cakes, I often use plain applesauce to sub for fat, but I don't think that would work for bread. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of calories come from the flour as well. 7 cups is quite a lot!
    I don't know what kind of flour you use, but you could replace at least half of it with whole wheat to increase the fiber.
    Other than that the only way to cut calories is to make smaller rolls, so you can still have one but it'll have less calories.
  • Daresie
    Options
    I should have mentioned that this makes four batches of one dozen to sixteen rolls, depending on what kind of roll it is. Thanks for taking the time to reply!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    You could replace the egg with egg whites in order to reduce fat and calories. Could you substitute some other fat for the shortening? Maybe some kind of oil? I know that olive oil bread is really tasty.
  • Daresie
    Options
    Those are interesting ideas. I will give them a try. Thanks!!