Need a low-sodium dinner idea for tonight

Options
I'm already hungry and thinking of dinner for tonight, but when I input my food for today, realized I really went over the sodium guidelines. Way over. Made the mistake of having Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup as part of my lunch (palm to forehead... SMACK!). Let's just say, my sodium intake was twice the recommended amount.

In any event, I've had turkey breast just about every day this week and wanted a change of pace.

Caloriewise, I've already had 679 calories, leaving 521 to 721 calories available for dinner.

Carbwise, I've had 94 of my maximum allowable 158 carbs, leaving 64 carbs.

Fat: I've had 14 grams of fat out of a maximum allowable of 25 grams, leaving up to 11 grams available.

Protein: I've had 53 grams of my target of 105 grams of protein, so dinner can reach up to 52 gms of protein.

Fiber: I always am low on fiber. I've had 21 grams so far today, leaving 9 more to try to get in for my target of 30 grams.

What I FEEL like devouring is a nice, juicy steak, baked potato (butter only, no other topping), maybe corn (I'm not big on veggies) and a glass of wine.

And yes, even though I've already had 679 calories and it's not quite 4 pm in the afternoon, I feel pretty darn hungry.

I need some suggestions that might fit into what's left of today's nutritional goals, preferably that won't leave me looking at other people I'm a walking dead zombie and humans are food...

Ideas ?

Replies

• MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I know you already know this but avoid anything in a packet if you want to keep within your sodium guidelines.

Are you seriously going to have steak, baked potato and butter and wine in your evening meal. If that's the case, you pretty much have nil calories to eat and you will probably go over your allowance for the day.

My view is you have already smashed your sodium for the day, just put that to the side and concentrate on the calories.

As long as you don;t go over your salt every single day it won't really matter.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If you are not big on veggies now could be the time to start retraining yourself - have a lean steak as long as you don't add any salt, have some vegetables sauteed in the steak juices for potassium to balance out the sodium and for fibre, buckwheat, quinoa, soybeans or broad beans for fibre and magnesium which can also help balance sodium.

If you are low on fibre you might also consider your mineral and vitamin intake, if you cheat by adding a fibre supplement to meals you are not adding micronutrients as you would with a wholefood and you are only adding soluble fibre not insoluble which is equally important. The oxalates in tea also bind certain nutrients.