About Margarine

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    If it says 0 trans fats then it does actually contain trans fats......I bet dollars to donuts that's what it says.

??? Saying 0 trans fats does not mean something contains trans fats. It's not a guarantee that they don't, but it's certainly not a guarantee that they do.

All you need to do is read the ingredients to see if hydrogenated or paritally hydrogenated oil is listed. If it is, there are trans fats, even if the label says 0 trans fats. This is because if the amount of trans fat "per serving" is under a certain amount the label can round down to 0.
    If this product actually contained no trans fats then they could legally say "no trans fats" and they would say that if they could. Considering all refined polyunsaturated vegetable oil, which is mainly what they use like soy, will contains some trans fats from the deodorizing process and don't actually need to be hydrogenated they can't say "no trans fats" legally they can say 0 trans fats and that fools the general population enough to believe 0 mean none.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    If it says 0 trans fats then it does actually contain trans fats......I bet dollars to donuts that's what it says.

??? Saying 0 trans fats does not mean something contains trans fats. It's not a guarantee that they don't, but it's certainly not a guarantee that they do.

All you need to do is read the ingredients to see if hydrogenated or paritally hydrogenated oil is listed. If it is, there are trans fats, even if the label says 0 trans fats. This is because if the amount of trans fat "per serving" is under a certain amount the label can round down to 0.
    Exactly.

I don't even know if it does say "0 Trans fats." I looked at the ingredients, not the advertising on the front.
    I looked, yes it says 0 trans fats.
  • Shal1217
    Options
    Not sure about that post but I was thinking about switching to butter due it being more "natural" than margarine... hmm.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I don't even know if it does say "0 Trans fats." I looked at the ingredients, not the advertising on the front.
    I looked, yes it says 0 trans fats.

OK. And

I read the ingredients. There is no partially hydrogenated oil. It used to have that, which is why I stopped eating it. I happened to look again two weeks ago and it's not listed anymore.

Your point is moot, dude.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If this product actually contained no trans fats then they could legally say "no trans fats" and they would say that if they could. Considering all refined polyunsaturated vegetable oil, which is mainly what they use like soy, will contains some trans fats from the deodorizing process and don't actually need to be hydrogenated they can't say "no trans fats" legally they can say 0 trans fats and that fools the general population enough to believe 0 mean none.

You are making quite an assumption, aren't you? "0 trans fats" is usually listed in the nutrition section, which typically only allows for numbers (0 gm cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, etc.). I've never seen a label have the word "no" there.

Hydrogenated vegetables oils have been linked to heart disease are are best avoided. Non-hydrogenated vegetable oils have been shown to improve heatlh markers. There is no reason to avoid them.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that steak contains natural trans fat. Do you avoid that, as well?
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    So you're saying the absolute only dairy product that is 100% natural is the milk as it comes out of the cow's teat? Well I don't own a cow, but it is my understanding that if you milk the cow, then let the milk sit for a bit, the cream rises to the top. But since that takes human interaction to put it in a container and let it sit, and then skim the cream from the top of the milk, it somehow becomes unnatural and against the course of nature? :tongue: And then shaking it until it becomes butter certainly changes into some foreign, totally unnatural, highly processed thing.

Not even that is natural, due to artificial selection which has changed the composition of milk.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Dear OP

There's a really cool website called Snopes that you can search before you post complete falsehoods. Give it a try.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

No way for me to know about this website before you posted it and honestly why not ask MFP? You all know everything right? :yawn:
    Uhh, haven't heard of snopes? WOW! Just FYI, some other sites you might want to know about are called "google.com" (for finding things on teh intarwebs) and "wikipedia.org"
  • neanderthin
    Options

You are making quite an assumption, aren't you? "0 trans fats" is usually listed in the nutrition section, which typically only allows for numbers (0 gm cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, etc.). I've never seen a label have the word "no" there.

Hydrogenated vegetables oils have been linked to heart disease are are best avoided. Non-hydrogenated vegetable oils have been shown to improve heatlh markers. There is no reason to avoid them.
    I believe it's you that is making assumptions. If a company removes all fat from their product, then they can legally say no trans fats, check for yourself. Even some products that have no fat say they have no trans fat, kinda sneaky, but true. Continue to eat whatever you want, hey if you believe there isn't any, then don't worry about anything I'm saying.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I believe it's you that is making assumptions. If a company removes all fat from their product, then they can legally say no trans fats, check for yourself. Even some products that have no fat say they have no trans fat, kinda sneaky, but true. Continue to eat whatever you want, hey if you believe there isn't any, then don't worry about anything I'm saying.

I don't understand your point. Why is it sneaky to say something with no fat has no trans fat?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is unnatural!

Eating cow milk is unnatural. I only eat human-based dairy. Breast milk, boob butter, and lady cheddar.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I don't understand your point. Why is it sneaky to say something with no fat has no trans fat?
    It's because trans fats are bad for us, and the producers of packaged food have a big area on their packaging to promote health and if they can say no trans fats that might help convince people that their product is healthy regardless of all the refined and unnatural other ingredients are there.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/trans-eng.php
    Trans fatty acids - These are found naturally in small amounts in certain foods (e.g., dairy products, beef and lamb). Also, small amounts of trans fats are formed during the refining of liquid vegetable oils (e.g., canola and soybean oil). Trans fats are also created when manufacturers use a process called "partial hydrogenation." This process turns liquid oil into a semi-solid form, such as shortening or margarine.
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    NEVER NEVER EAT MARGARINE ITS POISON
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    margarine tastes off to me. and if i'm eating a cupcake, it had better be made with butter and not some fake crap.

had to re-write a bunch of my grandma's recipes though since she was force fed the "margarine is better than butter line" for decades and can't get out of that rut.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Cows over science. I don't eat Paleo, but I also don't eat processed foods (Margarine is processed, no??)
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My dad has suffered a major heart attack and had to go to nutrional classes and they told him to stay away from margarine... he got a similar article about it. they have switched to butter...
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I do eat butter but I am very lactose intolerant so even a small tab of butter can hurl me into a world of painful stomach cramps and not to mention what else happens. I use the vegan margarine, and most of the time I don't use either at all unless I am eating toast or need it for cooking/baking.

I do however agree that butter is so much healthier for you, I try to tell people that a crude and natural fat such as butter is better with a diet and really should not be left out. You can also make your own salt-free butter at home with a high fat milk and magic bullet :) I have done it a few times with good results and literally takes only a minute or two to make.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    well butter isnt as processed as margarine is so it would be better for you i guess
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options