Bodymedia Fit - Equestrian/Horseback Riding -Accurate?

Options
Does anyone use a Bodymedia Fit armband while they are horseback riding? I have used it for the past three weeks and while I find it close to accurate, I feel it might be calculating a bit high. For example today I rode for 25 minutes, 20 of those minutes being at a brisk posting trot, lots of bending with my horse, but no cantering or jumping. The rest of the 25 minutes was just walking. BMF calculated that I burned about 200 calories in that time period, which seems high to me. I'm just worried the BMF is thinking I'm running at the pace that my horse is trotting, and that's where the high calorie burn is coming from. Would love any advice, thanks!

Replies

• acloern1985
    acloern1985 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trixyj
    trixyj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue in my car! I turn my band over on my arm now when I'm driving.
  • acloern1985
    Options
    bump
  • PrincessCorinne
    PrincessCorinne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with BMF but I have ridden my entire life (Dressage).

Question/ advice - are you monitoring heart rate? That may be a better indicator. You can figure a pretty general idea of calories burned based on weight, age and heart rate.

Good luck!
    Corinne

PS - you are super lucky. I lost my horse after 19 1/2 years and a recent HUGE breakthrough in her soundness (i.e. we were going to start training again) in December while I was at the USDF Convention to colic and I have not been able to even pet a horse yet. I'm so sad.
  • acloern1985
    Options
    Not sure where you are located, but you'd be welcome to ride mine! I lost my first horse when I was 20, I had him since I was 14. He taught me everything! I've gone through about 5 horses since then and finally found my new heart horse, my mare Madison.

Anyway, I'm not using a HRM, I haven't saved up for that yet :) That would probably give me a more accurate reading. Thanks!
  • acloern1985
    Options
    If that's her in your picture, she is gorgeous! I'm so sorry for your loss, it is so heartbreaking. I know seven years later I can still get emotional about my first horse.