Am wanting to become Vegan but dont know where to start

Options
I saw the movie vegucated last night. I never had a desire to become vegan although I knew about the animal cruelty. Its almost like people become oblivious to it. I watched the movie because I been wanting to watch these health documentaries. I didnt know I would come away from it wanting to become vegan. They made lots of really good points more reasons than animal cruelty but how healthy you can become and the damage that is being done to the enviornment. Even if someone didnt become vegan to cut down the meat use would make a huge difference because as with everything demand controls supply. Anywho how do I start Im alittle thrown off by what I can and cant have like cereal and oatmeal. I wanted to go through what I have in here already and make alternatives. Like they said you cant have things that have whey

Replies

• hellodangergirl
    hellodangergirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My advice is to start slow and find replacements as needed. For instance, reduce your intake of milk and replace it with a soy/rice/almond variety of your choosing. Pick one meal you eat regularly and replace the meat with a vegan friendly option (textured vegetable protein instead of ground beef), etc.

You might also considering transitioning through the levels of vegetarianism (semi-vegetarian, pescatarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian, vegetarian, vegan) and cutting out one animal product at a time and focus on the most obvious culprits (meat, milk, eggs, cheese). If you get there and are still feeling good about going vegan, then start working on the stealth animal products (gelatin, certain food dyes, etc.).
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    There is good advice on nutrition on many vegetarian/ vegan charity and society websites. Do take a marine algae long chain omega-3 supplement. If you buy foods that only have one or two ingredients it's easier not to get caught out.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    that movie finaly did it for me too, but I decided to start by becoming a vegetarian,and limiting my dairy, like I use almond milk instead of cow milk, and if i can eat it without cheese, skip it
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    you can add me if you want, Im on day 4 of being vegetarian, so i might be able to help since im also just starting
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You most definitely can have cereal and oatmeal! Are you concerned about the milk? Try out the different alternatives - soy, rice, almond...
  • haileybailey5
    haileybailey5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Last year I decided to educate myself on healthier ways to eat, and how to reduce my intake of animal products so I started by becoming a vegetarian. Each month I would cut out something new, like milk to unsweetened almond milk, eggs to tofu scramble, cheese to nutritional yeast. It worked great, although I only ate completely vegan for a month, but in the long run it taught me alot about severely limiting my animal product intake. Kathy Freston's 21 Day Cleanse is a great intro into the vegan lifestyle, I would definitely look into that book! It is a huge commitment, time and money wise in the beginning, but its worth trying! I wish you all the best of luck, it is a lifestyle choice that has many benefits!
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Just start with one meal at a time. If you try to look at the larger picture it becomes overwhelming. Focus on one meal and go from there. Happy Herbivore is a great site and she offers weekly meal plans complete with a shopping list and recipes. That might be a good place to start. Add me if you want, I have an open diary. I made the switch a year ago.