Processed Foods >:-[

Options
2»

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a processed not a 'clean' food, cocoa powder is natural and healthy. Women's logic.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    When I go to the store for processed food I go to the processed food aisle where they have lots of processed food. I compare the different processed food choices and pick the best processed food by price and packaging. I proceed to the checkout lane with the processed food and complete the payment process.

khanxbye
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Primary reason for me is sodium. I have hypertension and have to watch my sodium intake. Canned goods, frozen and other prepared (processed) entress have loads of sodium...restaurant foods have tons of sodium. Some of it is unavoidable for me...sorry, not going to make a homemade batch of beans to put in a stew...so I do have some, but I limit them and look for the least amount of sodium possible. Proessing most of my meals from primarily whole foods gives me far greater control over my sodium intake as well as potassium intake (which I'm supposed to up).

Edit: if it wasn't for the sodium issue I personally wouldn't care at all.

I'm in the same boat as you with sodium.
    That being said, I've recently started cooking
    dry beans in the pressure cooker. I'm going
    to have to go back and change my chili recipe
    because I used to use canned beans!

I have this same issue! I just cook a big batch of beans in my slow cooker. I also freeze them, in "can measurements", which is 1 1/2 cups of cooked beans or 1/2 cup of dried beans. It makes life so easy and doesn't make the beans super mushy!

My new go to side to make is black eyed peas.
    10 minutes in the pressure cooker, and done!
    No precooking, or soaking involved.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I am a chemistry major. A lot of those "unpronounceable ingredients" are actually natural compounds.
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OMG Just research Monsanto.....enough said