Big meals, dont know how many calories there are.

juelsJUSTICE
juelsJUSTICE Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Sometimes, when i have a big meal for lunch for a special occasion or what ever, i never know how many calories there are in the whole plate of food i had because i have so many different varieties of food on my plate. Any idea's of how i can find out exactly how many calories there were on my plate?

Replies

• rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    Break it down
    Try to figure out or make a guess to how many calories are for each seperate thing
    then add it all up to find out the calories for the whole meal.
  • ajrowart
    ajrowart Posts: 16
    Try looking up the items individual and then adding that way to your diary. Than you can save them as a meal. Say you go out for dinner to chillies, add the tacos, Spanish rice, beans, ect., individual than save as a meal.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    It's certainly a challenge. If you're preparing all the food yourself, you can do it.

If somebody else has prepared the meal, or if you're eating out somewhere, you're going to just have to take your best guess.

I always try and estimate on the high end, just to be safe.
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    if you eat out you can always ask for a nutrition menu before you order, or if you know where you are going, look it up online
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 315 Member
    Try looking up foods that are similar. Also, try to think about how much you had of each item. Maybe try to picture if you had a 1/2 cup or one full cup of each food. Then do your calories based on that.
  • eortenzo
    eortenzo Posts: 6
    Its such a pain to figure out little bites of this and that, so I usually use that as motivation to pick 3-4 things at a party that I know I'll really enjoy and just stick to those. Its easier to figure out 4 things than little bites of 8 things. And I usually end up eating less that way.
This discussion has been closed.