Holding/lifting weights while on treadmill...

Options
Hi all. This maybe a tricky question. I lift a 2 lb weights on each arm while on treadmill (3.5 pace) . Can anyone tell me how many extra calories for each mile??? Ive been "guesstimating" at 20 calories. Any info. is much appreciated!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There's no way to know for sure. I recommend wearing a HRM.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You don't want to hear this, but you deserve the truth:
    Virtually nothing. Maybe 2-3. If that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Nothing. You are holding weights that weigh less than your hands.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Nothing. You are holding weights that weigh less than your hands.
    Yup.

Pretty much zero benefit from doing this. If your trying to just increase calorie burn, go faster.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    At my gym, they frown on moving the olympic bar into the "machine" room. It scares all those people who think they're working out.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    At my gym, they frown on moving the olympic bar into the "machine" room.

Hahahaha. I'm trying to picture that...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's way more potentially dangerous than potentially beneficial. Just walk faster without them.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Negligible difference. Try lifting weights before you hit the treadmill.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I walk with another person on my shoulders, I'd say I burn about an extra 100 calories, and they get a fun ride out of it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I walk with another person on my shoulders, I'd say I burn about an extra 100 calories, and they get a fun ride out of it.

I do enjoy it a lot, but it would be more fun if you'd wear the outfit i bought you
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

I do enjoy it a lot, but it would be more fun if you'd wear the outfit i bought you
    I told you I would only wear that outfit on days I'm riding on top of you.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I think I'm burning calories just from reading this.
  • tarahs
    tarahs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Im NOT just holding the weights but actually lifting them up and down,side to side while power walking, so im sure im burning calories but doesnt know how much...
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    better to add ankle weights and pick up the pace to burn more calories
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Im NOT just holding the weights but actually lifting them up and down,side to side while power walking, so im sure im burning calories but doesnt know how much...

Nope. The only benefit is getting the reputation as the weird chick on the treadmill waving her hands around, which probably isn't a benefit at all. Unless you have a youtube account and video yourself while doing this. Perhaps you should check out the thread on fun gym pics.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Did it just get hot in here?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

Did it just get hot in here?

heh
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    if you're walking, increase the incline, ditch the weights
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    No, just no.

If you were carrying heavier you would be setting yourself up for injury.
    I think my hydration pack may weigh 2 pounds. I don't factor that in.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think I gain 4 lbs in water weight when I work out at the gym and I doubt it burns any extra calories. Also, calorie burn is an estimate outside of a lab. So the 20 calories or 30 or whatever that you may burn extra carrying the extra 4 lbs isn't worth counting, unless you're trying fit in ice cream or cookies...then the calories you burn typing on MFP count. I want cookies. :grumble: