cardio vs. weights?

Options
Hi, I have about 55 pounds to lose until my goal weight. I started out just doing mainly cardio (turbofire/sports/zumba) but now I'm looking into mixing in strength because I think that would help a lot with toning/defining muscle. Would it be wise to do 3 days of cardio and 3 days of strength, or should I wait until I'm closer to my GW to start strength training?

Replies

• vavromc
    Options
    I'd go ahead and start mixing in the strength/weights...you'll burn more calories...just be sure to alternate the cardio/weight days (unless you're doing different muscle groups from one day to the next) to give your muscles time to rest. Start out light/moderate for two weeks or so or you'll be very sore...don't rest for too long between sets. Good luck.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    There is no Cardio "vs." Weights.

There is Cardio + Weights.
    There is Cardio or Weights.

I'd recommend both.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Lift now, add cardio if you want.

You should look to do a full body program that includes progressive loading like Stronglifts 5 x 5, 3 x a week.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Lift now, add cardio if you want.

You should look to do a full body program that includes progressive loading like Stronglifts 5 x 5, 3 x a week.

QFT
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you think it will help with toning, why would you wait half a year to start?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i took weights at -210. should be a great fight.
  • cathmaow
    cathmaow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I just get awkward at the gym with weights and all the guys around! I feel like I don't know what I'm doing lifting my small weights. What I have been doing is the Nike Training Club app on iphone/andriod. It has a toning/strength training section that tells you to use dumbells/medicine ball/etc. it has workouts for beginner, intermediate, and expert. It's pretty awesome! I recommend you try it
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Threads like this are supposed to be started in the morning, but thanks for making sure a day didn't go by without one
  • carenscuisine
    Options
    go to about.com and do a search for beginning weight lifting. Print it out and bring it to the gym. This is your journey and those guys don't care how you work out, noone matters but you and your health. That only happens when you work at it and commit to let everyone else do their business and you do your own. Weights are crucial to bone mass, burning calories and general health. Cardio is nice but not as effective.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    go to about.com and do a search for beginning weight lifting. Print it out and bring it to the gym. This is your journey and those guys don't care how you work out, noone matters but you and your health. That only happens when you work at it and commit to let everyone else do their business and you do your own. Weights are crucial to bone mass, burning calories and general health. Cardio is nice but not as effective.

This is correct, nobody really cares what other people do in the gym. If they are paying attention to you, then they have no life or they like your style.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Can I jump in with a question???
    Is there a problem with doing cardio and weights in the same day?
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a question too. I am underweight and from what I've seen online I should do strength training to get stronger and improve my body composition (even though I am underweight I still have lower belly pooch etc so I'm vain and want a flat stomach). Can I do cardio if I'm underweight? I want to look good and be strong but I also want to be able to run and be active. but I'm scared of losing lbs because I would almost certainly be losing muscle if I did. Is there a healthy way to gain muscle and improve cardiovascular strength?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question I am new to fitness.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Go to fitnessblender.com

Pick a different workout every day. You'll be very happy. Some are pure cardio, some are pure weights, some are combo cardio/weights. There are about 150 videos on the site now, you'll never get bored.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I prefer Cardio & Lifting. Build muscle and keep the heart strong. Only thing you have to worry about eating those pesky cardio calories back but thats no problem for me atleast :wink:

Typically I'll lift for 60-90 minutes and do a 15 minute Cardio set (Elip or 4mph Tread). HIIT will burn alot of glycogen stored in your body and the Cardio will attack the Fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have a question too. I am underweight and from what I've seen online I should do strength training to get stronger and improve my body composition (even though I am underweight I still have lower belly pooch etc so I'm vain and want a flat stomach). Can I do cardio if I'm underweight? I want to look good and be strong but I also want to be able to run and be active. but I'm scared of losing lbs because I would almost certainly be losing muscle if I did. Is there a healthy way to gain muscle and improve cardiovascular strength?

You can but you will need to eat more to compensate and I would not do any extreme running sessions.

Do you lift weights? Do you know what your body fat % is?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Can I jump in with a question???
    Is there a problem with doing cardio and weights in the same day?

No, but make sure you do cardio after weights and do not do too much. 30 minutes is a good goal.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do 'em both!
  • jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options

You can but you will need to eat more to compensate and I would not do any extreme running sessions.

No. I've been doing a workout DVD for the past ten days (Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30) to get into the swing of exercising daily but haven't really sketched out a long term plan/done enough research.
    &No. How do I find that out?
  • gazbo1986
    Options
    Both. Girls who lift weight become sexy as hell.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No. I've been doing a workout DVD for the past ten days (Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30) to get into the swing of exercising daily but haven't really sketched out a long term plan/done enough research.
    &No. How do I find that out?

Do you have access to a gym?