When to eat supper- before or after workout?

superstarcassie
superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello All! I just finished my 2nd week of exercise and healthy eating. It feels great already! :) I had a few questions, and have gotten confusing answers when I search online! I was wondering if it is better to eat supper and wait a while to exercise, or exercise and then eat supper. I am a teacher, and the mornings are too crammed for me to do it when I wake up! I would appreciate any input. I've been trying both in the past few weeks.

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    It honestly doesn't matter. You should just do which feels best for you. I prefer to workout before I eat because I don't like the feeling of food sitting in my stomach.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I usually work out after dinner (like an hour after) then have another small snack after working out. It doesn't matter at all, it is personal preference. Some people (like me) need carbs/energy to get a really effective work out in.
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    I agree. I try to work out before I eat. Last night I didn't do that and worked out after. I felt horrible through out my whole work out. It made me feel yucky. But, I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter and you do whatever feels best for you.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    I eat after; I get home from work eat a tiny snack and go. If I eat too much I get nauseaus and can't work out effectively. But I agree with the previous posters - its a matter of preference.
  • I think eating before exercising is better, as you use all the energy you got from the food. But it's best to wait at least 2 hours after you've eaten, otherwise your food won't have had time to digest, and the workout will be quite uncomfortable!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I like to workout and then eat. I found that when I was working out later in the evening, I would end up starving afterward, and often went over my calories. Now that I workout before dinner, that hasn't been a problem.
  • gummibaehr
    gummibaehr Posts: 143
    I fluctuate. Some days I have a snack before a work out and eat dinner after. Other days I eat dinner before my work out and have a snack after. It depends on my hunger level and how I feel on a given day. Works for me!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I like to have a small protein/carb snack before I workout and then eat (breakfast or dinner usually) afterwards. Sometimes I exercise lightly on an empty stomach in the morning because I have a hard time eating immediately after I wake up.

Edit: If I'm going for a run, I always have a small snack (100-200 calories with about 10g protein) about 30 minutes before. Otherwise I lose my energy after about 30 minutes.
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    I workout first thing in the morning and burn almost all my calories but after my last snack at night and dinner I walk on the treadmill for 25 minutes. I read that if you just do a small workout or go for a short walk after you eat at night it gets your metabolism going before you go to bed.:smile: I just started doing this little workout at night so we'll see if it helps.
This discussion has been closed.