Sodium

Options
Is anyone else tracking their sodium intake in their food diary? I just started this about a week ago to drop pounds and lower my blood pressure. The doctor wants me to watch my salt intake. It's not bad enough that I LOVE salt but seems like everything I eat is loaded with the stuff. I can be under in every area of the diary and still go way over in sodium. I'm not even using the shaker anymore and still eating way to much of the stuff. Grrrrrr! Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Stop eating ready made/ processed stuff, eat wholefoods or items with no more than two ingredients. A plain chicken or fish does not have any added salt, lunch meat and fish patties do, bread has salt plain dry oats or rice do not and so on.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    yes, i track it too. started tracking it after i didn't drop any weight for 3 months. i go over about 3 to 4 times a week. seems like i am either really low or a tad over. can't find the medium range. i don't worry too much about it, but will try to go with a lower sodium option of an ingredient if available. i have heard, thru posts on here, that if you workout a lot (and sweat) that it isn't too big of a deal if you are over. i don't know how true that is.

it has forced me to read labels a bit more carefully. and i have been very suprised at the sodium content of some foods, especially salad dressing and some frozen vegetables.

curious to see what everyone else thinks...
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Avoiding sodium is tough! Eating out makes it harder. I drink lots of water to counter act the sodium in everything!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Stop eating ready made/ processed stuff, eat wholefoods or items with no more than two ingredients. A plain chicken or fish does not have any added salt, lunch meat and fish patties do, bread has salt plain dry oats or rice do not and so on.

This. Also, don't eat at restaurants -- restaurant food is scarily loaded with sodium!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, I track sodium. I also track potassium because it helps the body regulate sodium. Bananas, dried apricots and oranges are good sources of potassium.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to unprocessed foods, fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meats and fish, whole grains as much as possible. Read labels. Sodium is in everything and adds up very quickly. Same with sugar. It is best to try and make your own meals, that way you can control what is put into your food.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Oh, and meat is also an excellent source of potassium.
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low sodium too. It takes time to reset your taste buds, but it does happen! I don't use any salt in cooking now except for occasional low sodium soy sauce or hot sauce. The more you cook things from fresh, you'll see the easier it is to reduce salt, and you can play with a ton of other flavourings to make food how you really like it! In all honesty I rarely crave anything salty anymore. Using other big bold flavours (curry, chili, five spice, cardamom, star anise, fennel..) helped me! You can do it! :)
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes, I track my sodium. How many milligrams did your doctor recommend daily? MFP has mine set at 2500.

Marie
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I track my sodium as well and strive to stay under 2500mg, it can be tough for sure.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else tracking their sodium intake in their food diary? I just started this about a week ago to drop pounds and lower my blood pressure. The doctor wants me to watch my salt intake. It's not bad enough that I LOVE salt but seems like everything I eat is loaded with the stuff. I can be under in every area of the diary and still go way over in sodium. I'm not even using the shaker anymore and still eating way to much of the stuff. Grrrrrr! Anyone else have this problem?

Make sure to drink more water after u consume some extra amount of sodium. Water flushes off sodium. Try not to cross the limit of sodium, make it as a goal. I cook foods at home and my overall sodium in-take per day will be in between 200 - 600.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I aim for <1500 as well. Use dried, fresh or frozen over canned goods. processed meats & cheeses are the worst, as are prepackaged meals. I still indulge myself a little if I want a turkey sandwich with cheese but I need to plan accordingly. Stock your cupboards with a variety of spices to give your foods a little kick without the salt. It will not take long before you no longer miss it and will find that when you do indulge you find it too salty.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Ms. Dash has an excellent line of seasonings that help. I never use salt anymore
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Processed food = salt overload
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I track sodium also. Some days it is so hard to stay under!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Salt as in table salt...not that bad. In fact ur body needs the sodium electrolites. Processed foodsvusing sodium as a preservative are bad. Eat cleaner and use salt to taste.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I track it. I only go over once in a while on cheat days/holidays. it's pretty easy to keep it in check - don't eat a lot of processed stuff. :)
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes I track sodium to control my high blood pressure without medication. It is working! I eat between 650 - 1500 daily. That means VERY little processed food. Lots of veggies, Ms. Dash, limes, hot pepper flakes and I am good to go. Lots of dry beans, frozen talapia, no salt canned tomatoes (make my own sauce) swiss cheese (lowest sodium amount) no salt peanut butter. I am an avid label reader. Fresh and frozen veggies, and low sodium choices in crackers and grains, etc. When I eat out, I asked that no salt be added to my veggies and fish choices. Once you wean yourself off salt. EVERYTHING tastes extra salty.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Processed food = salt overload

SO true. I tried finding a frozen dinner once. Even the so called healthy options were minimum 400mg salt. No thank you