Hummus

weston9595
weston9595 Posts: 4 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
I'm looking for a good home made hummus recipe. Any suggestions?

Replies

• czar1978
    czar1978 Posts: 83
    Hummus

Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)

Ingredients
    1 (16-oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    1/3 cup olive oil
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 ablespoon olive oil (optional)
    Garnish: lemon slice

Preparation
    Process first 6 ingredients and 2 tablespoons water in a food processor 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl. Cover and chill 2 hours or up to 3 days. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil just before serving, if desired. Garnish, if desired.

Spicy Cilantro-Lime Hummus

Prepare recipe as directed, substituting lime juice for lemon juice, increasing ground red pepper to 1/2 teaspoon, and adding 1/3 cup firmly packed chopped fresh cilantro and 2 teaspoons grated lime rind to the ingredients in food processor bowl. Garnish hummus with 1/8 teaspoon grated lime rind, if desired.

Per serving (2 tablespoons): Calories 89; Fat 6.3g (sat 0.9g, mono 4.4g, poly 0.8g); Protein 1.5g; Carb 6.9g; Fiber 1.3g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.5mg; Sodium 92mg; Calc 11mg.

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Hummus

Prepare recipe as directed, omitting ground cumin and adding 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped, and 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves to the ingredients in food processor bowl. Garnish hummus with dried crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.

Per serving (2 tablespoons): Calories 90; Fat 6.3g (sat 0.9g, mono 4.4g, poly 0.8g); Protein 1.5g; Carb 7.1g; Fiber 1.3g; Chol 0mg; Iron 0.4mg; Sodium 92mg; Calc 13mg.
  • My cousin made me a modified version of this dish without the tahini and olive oil. But it was great! She took one can drained garbanzo beans, two cloves garlic, lemon juice from one lemon, and peeled boiled red pepper and blended in blender. It was yummy.
  • Hve to check when I get home, but i make it alot. Drain a can of chick peas put in a food processor with Tahini (seame paste), garlic , lemon juice and olive oil for the basic mixture, better yey check out this site:

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/middleeasternfood101/a/hummus101.htm

Frank
  • czar1978
    czar1978 Posts: 83
    This is the one I use... (44 calories per serving)

Traditional Hummus

Yield: 3 1/4 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)

Ingredients
    2 (15.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
    3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation
    1. Place beans and garlic in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until chopped. Add 1/2 cup water and remaining ingredients; pulse until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.

CALORIES 44 (51% from fat); FAT 2.5g (sat 0.6g, mono 1g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 2g; CARB 3.8g; FIBER 0.8g; CHOL 1mg; IRON 0.3mg; SODIUM 109mg; CALC 21mg.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    soak overnight, drain, rinse and cook chickpeas (they taste way better than store bought and freeze well when you cook them! We do a HUGE pot each time and freeze cup sized portions in freezer bags for the next time we need chickpeas - which is often and alot)
    drain them but keep some water.

Add as much as you want to the blender - I usually do 2-3cups
    Add 4-5 cloves of garlic (you can always add more! I usually do around 6-7)
    1 tbsp or so of Tahini (if it isnt "nutty" enough when done you can add a bit more - I find that I never need more than 3 tbsps to a blenderfull)
    Lemon juice to taste and for some liquid. (I use anywhere from one to three lemons depending on how much I make and how I am feeling)

Blend these up - taste - adjust accordingly. You can use some of the chickpea water to "thin" out the hummus if you want to - I used to use olive oil to help with this - now I just use the water from cooking the chickpeas and I havnt found that it impacts the taste alot, the texture a little (less "silky"), but not the taste.

The great thing about hummus is that you can play with it until you get what YOU want. I sometimes add cayane pepper or parsley to it as well. I have also added a small amount of Feta brine - but that is really salty! Experiment - the basics are chickpeas/tahini/garlic/lemon - after that its up to you!

We make this in large blenderfulls and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.
This discussion has been closed.