I need help

I Really want to gain muscles, not fat. I lost a lot of my muscle from under eating while doing a 30 day Challenge by BodyRocktv.com... (See my profile for whole story)

I know I need to eat more, but I'm so afraid that it won't turn into muscle and turn into fat instead since my metabolism has slowed down because I've been under eating while working out still for awhile still, even after doing the challenge.

I don't know how accurate this site is, but I was told it was one of the better ones: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/weight_gain_calculator.htm

The results it gave me to gain weight are:

Calories: 2,095

CARBOHYDRATES:

GRAMS PER MEAL - 86.3g
GRAMS PER DAY - 259g

PROTEIN:

GRAMS PER MEAL - 35.7g
GRAMS PER DAY - 107g

FATS*:

GRAMS PER MEAL - 23g
GRAMS PER DAY - 69g

I'm 22, currently weigh 98 Lbs, I'm 5'2 1/2" and workout three times a week for about 30 minutes (depending on the workout I build). Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I rest the days in between and or do light cardio like walking around the neighborhood and take the weekends off.

I'm not sure what to set my goals to because I don't want to get any fatter. I'm what you call "skinny-fat" and it's really gross. I want to get leaner with nice curves that make me appear longer and curvier and I want my strength and happiness back.

Replies

• alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    BUMP
  • alexbusnello
    Nobody has advice for me?
  • Lift weights. Eat as much as a licensed professional tells you to. Eat LOTS of protein.
    Oh, and take it slow! Increase your eating by adding a can of tuna or a protein shake to your usual daily intake. Eat back your exercise calories! All the usual stuff. You don't need as much help as you think. DON'T OVER-THINK IT! And good luck!
  • P.S. Bump.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    This is a tough one...98lbs seems really low. You say you are "skinny fat" and you don't want to be...I would suggest eating healthy higher fat and higher protien foods more often. Will sustain you for longer and help build muscle. I would also recommend that you start lifting weights. If you are eating enough you shouldn't have any problems building muscle.
    Good Luck!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Start with your current calorie intake, up it by 100 a week until you're at a 250 calorie surplus (over your TDEE) a day. Women don't put on muscle as quickly, so if you don't want to put on fat you need your surplus to be smaller. It's extremely unlikely that you'd be able to put on more than 1/2lb of muscle a week so a 250 surplus is good.

Do you have a hypertrophy program or are you just winging it? For sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (muscle mass gains), it's best to do between 8-12 reps pet set. If you can do 15 reps of a weight, the weight is too light. Another important thing is progressive overload. Eventually, your body will adjust to your routine. You need to continue to add weight/reps/sets to your workout over time.

Hope this helps.
  • alexbusnello
    This is a tough one...98lbs seems really low. You say you are "skinny fat" and you don't want to be...I would suggest eating healthy higher fat and higher protien foods more often. Will sustain you for longer and help build muscle. I would also recommend that you start lifting weights. If you are eating enough you shouldn't have any problems building muscle.
    Good Luck!

I'm not eating enough for my goals, no....but I'm trying.
  • alexbusnello
    Start with your current calorie intake, up it by 100 a week until you're at a 250 calorie surplus (over your TDEE) a day. Women don't put on muscle as quickly, so if you don't want to put on fat you need your surplus to be smaller. It's extremely unlikely that you'd be able to put on more than 1/2lb of muscle a week so a 250 surplus is good.

Do you have a hypertrophy program or are you just winging it? For sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (muscle mass gains), it's best to do between 8-12 reps pet set. If you can do 15 reps of a weight, the weight is too light. Another important thing is progressive overload. Eventually, your body will adjust to your routine. You need to continue to add weight/reps/sets to your workout over time.

Hope this helps.

I'm just winging it and doing what I'm able to do. I need heavier dumbbells but can't afford them at the moment. Right now I'm doing mostly body weight. Body weight and resistance band