Trying a new diet

If I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet and exercise 4 times a week burning a average of 500 calories
How long will it take to lose 75 lbs? I am 28 male 6 ft 280 lbs. I played football and worked out until about three years ago when I quit. Now I want to get back in shape. Is this a safe diet and how long will it take me. That would be 500 calories on average per workout.

Replies

• No, it is not safe. You could easily lose weight in a healthier fashion eating 2000 calories per day. not only are you likely to damage your metabolism but your testosterone production, thyroid output, and leptin levels will plummet.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    It will take about 6 months...but u will b skinny fat. Increase ur cals to 1800-2000, lose 2 lbs a week...build some muscle and get hot.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    I agree with the above. Check out this websitehttp://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Aim to eat above your BMR and below your TDEE (maitenance) and you will lose weight without affecting your metabolism too much

Good luck :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    No, it is not safe. You could easily lose weight in a healthier fashion eating 2000 calories per day. not only are you likely to damage your metabolism but your testosterone production, thyroid output, and leptin levels will plummet.

this. I have lost 117lbs and have pretty much always eaten over 1200 calories.
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback. So it would be ok to increase my calorie intake to 1500 or 1800 and it wouldn't impact my weight loss
  • no..increase to 2000. (that's your net intake btw...so you'd eat more on workout days...2500)
  • Ok. 2000 it is. Thanks again.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    If I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet and exercise 4 times a week burning a average of 500 calories
    How long will it take to lose 75 lbs? I am 28 male 6 ft 280 lbs. I played football and worked out until about three years ago when I quit. Now I want to get back in shape. Is this a safe diet and how long will it take me. That would be 500 calories on average per workout.

Your basal metabolic rate is roughly 2500 you should never be netting under that, you are currently netting under 700 cals a day! If you eat too low you will lose muscle mass which will make you flabbier and reduce your metabolism, you won't have enough nutrients to keep your body healthy, you can't properly repair and refuel, you risk injury and overtraining.

I assume those who said 2000 didn't bother to do a calculation and just took an average male calorie intake but you are taller and broader than average. You should be looking to lose one to two pounds a week, more tends to be muscle and water not fat.
  • nobody at 6 foot should be below 2000 calories to try and lose weight..no bueno.