Eating at a Mexican restaurant.. help!

Options
I'm all for eating in moderation and I'm not having a freakout about it, BUT it'd be nice to have some help choosing the healthiest option. Here's the menu: http://www.casablancaalabama.com/menu.php

'Tis greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well I can't get the link to work, but usually at a Mexican restaurant I get Fajitas or Carne Asada. Or a Taco Salad if it doesn't come in the fried shell. Have one serving of chips and push the basket away.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Apparently, I don't know how to add links..? Hah. Thanks for the help though. If I get a Fajita, I'll only eat a portion of one. They're HUGE.
  • lustrebass
    lustrebass Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Without having scoured the menu, in general at a mexican restaurante I would look for:

fish platter, or fish tacos without eating the tortilla (as long as the fish is not fried)
    other seafood dish, as long as it's not fried and hold the cheese sauce
    steak or chicken fajitas, have only one or no tortillas
    Spinach salad with steak or chicken fajitas meat topping

soemthign along those lines.

Avoid cheese sauce, refried beans, tortillas, fried anything. Look for fresh, sautee'd foods. Spices are excellent to add flavor.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    From their menu -
    Pollo Cancun - 8 oz. grilled chicken breast topped with our new mango pico de gallo. Served with grilled pineapple, vegetables and a side of cucumber/tossed salad.
  • jenillawafer
    Options
    @ Cleo, I was looking at that one. It looks delicious! Either that or the Pollo Mexicano
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    There were only two or three things that weren't covered in cheese sauce, and that one looked the best to me :) Have fun!
  • jenillawafer
    Options
    It's very tempting to say the least. Thank you so much for the help! :flowerforyou:
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    they all looked so good. I would have no self control.. I would order whatever I fancied and take half home..so it would have to be something that would make a good leftover.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Fajitas with no tortillas.. NEEEEXT...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    From their menu -
    Pollo Cancun - 8 oz. grilled chicken breast topped with our new mango pico de gallo. Served with grilled pineapple, vegetables and a side of cucumber/tossed salad.

Oh that sounds delicious! I'd go with this!
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    steak or chicken fajitas, have only one or no tortillas

Personally I'd say whats the point :tongue:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Eh.. go to the gym.. work out hard.. do some resistance training and cardio.. order what you want.. take half home and give to kids/friends/dog. repeat the gym the next day...

I love mexican and I'm gonna order what I want if I go out to dinner.

You'll be happy.. your Mexican craving will be satisfied.. and you won't stress about the calories.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Margarita.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    I agree with Ready2Rock206. The Pollo Cancun looks like a good option. Anything grilled with no cheese sauce and no tortillas would be fine. Stay away from the chips and any cheeses. Looks like some of the meals come with broccoli.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Your deficit will even out over the course of a few days. Life's too short to deprive yourself of good things. So here's your plan, you ready?

- Make a reasonably good choice
    - Don't focus on it too much
    - Drink a lot of water in the days around your outing (lots of sodium in those Mexican meals so you will deal with some bloat)
    - Work hard in the days leading up to it and for a few days after
    - ENJOY YOUR MEAL AND NO REGRETS, ya hear me?
    - Move on, continue working hard, and rationally deal with the next time something like this comes up

You'll do great :flowerforyou:
  • coolmomjulia
    coolmomjulia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love your answer and it's exactly what I would have said. I have learned that if I go on a deprivation kick rather than eating healthy and enjoying the moments I have a treat, I certainly won't stick it out.
  • jenillawafer
    Options
    I appreciate all of the kind answers. I don't deprive myself, believe me. I just like to have an idea about what I'm eating, so I can adjust it in with my macros. Unfortunately, it's hard to know exactly what's in one of those meals, so I'll rely on what's already in our database.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I get a taco salad, with ONLY lettuce, tomato, and avocado. I don't eat the shell it comes with, my husband does. I'm vegan and unfortunately most restaurants where I live make their beans and tortillas with lard, or bacon. Some of them don't, but just to be sure I refer at all mexican restaurant beans as "mystery beans" lol.

I'd avoid mexican restaurants if I could, but it is my family's favorite. I don't want to force everyone else to go to a "special" place just for me. I'm satisfied though :D
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Margarita.

and this. :~)