What do you think about net carbs?

Options
I personally count all carbs I eat. I've met people and read info that subtracting the fiber from the carbs are the net carbs you are actually eatting. Hummm? I just don't know how I feel about this. Wondering what everyone else thinks on the topic?

Replies

• jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Subtracting the fiber is the way that the atkins diet works, I don't know all the specifics but if you research the atkins diet it can explain as to why you do that! Good Luck!!
  • jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Subtracting the fiber is the way that the atkins diet works, I don't know all the specifics but if you research the atkins diet it can explain as to why you do that! Good Luck!!
  • Anansis_Intricacy
    Options
    I don't know about subtracting fiber and all that, but I just learned in my nutrition class that a person's brain needs 130 g of carbs a day to function properly. So super-low carb diets are a bad idea :) However, fiber is undigested. It's plant material our bodies can't digest. So I can see maybe why people would subtract fiber from other carbs...but I wouldn't bother with it.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says that net carbs are a gimmick. :smile:

She says that not all fiber grams on the label are indigestible for one thing.