To get started exercising, what should I start doing first?

Options
I need a jumpstart! :indifferent:

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just started with light weights at the gym and 15 mins of cardio.. still doing light weights but up to 30 mins cardio and I do calisthenics usually now . (Resistance training)

Start where you are comfortable though.. Even if it's walking the dog everyday. Just start.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics and walking is how I got started. Then I did the Couch to 5k. It's great for building cardio endurance.
  • kendobc
    kendobc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Strength Training: Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength, search the net for info.
    Cardio: Whatever gets you moving whether in the gym or outside. Do it after the strength training if you are doing it in the same session.

Good luck! I need a jumpstart for my whole life (almost 40) and I FINALLY jumpstarted myself with some help from a fitness freak friend. (= I know where you are coming from.

Cheers,

Kendobc
    Count Your Macros Not Your Calories
  • Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    First evaluate what you like to do. Do you like nature? Maybe start with a walk outdoors. Do you like being competitive? Maybe play Ultimate Frisbee or find a friend to compete with at the gym. Do you like dancing? Maybe find a dance game for a video game system if you have one or DVD if not or just turn on the radio and go at it.

Personally I slacked off a lot last year so I'm fairly close to my beginning working out and I'm using EA Sports Active 2 which has cardio and strength training incorporated together. I think both are important. However a great first step is starting to do something which you'll KEEP doing.

And by all means, don't do something that's going to hurt you. If you need to, check with your doctor on what you should or shouldn't do. But generally you probably shouldn't go from no exercise to p90x or other really intense things.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Walking.