Daily Weight Variation

osram34
osram34 Posts: 54
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I jumped on the scale today and was excited about what it was reading out. Then when i get back from work, I decide to jump back on and im like 3 pounds heavier :S so u could imagine how i feel right now... And i understand that ur drinkin water and ur eating but im trying to diagnose a faulty scale... How much can your weight vary daily depending on water or food intake?

Replies

• rileya
    rileya Posts: 28 Member
    Somedays mine will be 5lbs difference. I think your scale is probably fine :)
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    I, too, can fluctuate up to FIVE lbs. in a day. So don't let it get you down!
  • osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    cool :) maybe i just dont trust digital scales which are probably better?? what u all think
  • jawolfe
    jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
    i'm usually 3-5 lbs higher at night. Just weigh yourself at the same time every day...preferrably in th AM
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    I've read that your weight can fluctuate as much as 2-4 pounds daily depending on what you ate the day before, how much water you drank and how much water your body is retaining. Your weight in the morning is your true weight.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    I bought a digital. The key to accuracy is to weigh yourself at the same time every day. Everyone on here agrees the a.m. first thing is best and I don't know if it's because it's easier to remember if you do it right when you get up or if it's just because you're lighter before you've eaten anything so it's makes us feel a little better (that's my reason, ha ha)
  • rileya
    rileya Posts: 28 Member
    I personally have an old fashion scale that I use in the morning, then I weigh myself at the gym in the afternoon with a digital. I think they are probably both accurate its just personal preference.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Yep it can go up and down all day +/- with everything that goes in your body. It will even go up after a shower, because your body drinks in the moisture (I checked on morning before and after:laugh: )

Pick one time a day and stick with it.

:flowerforyou: Laura
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    1 fluid ounce = 1 ounce
    16 ounces = 1 lb
    1 lb = 2 8-ounce glasses of water

If you get your recommeded 8 8-ounces of water in daily, you just took in 4 lbs of water weight! PLUS the food you ate. So don't be surprise and just weigh in the morning; it's the best time of day to get the most accurate reading for your weight.

I've also read that your body doesn't digest food as fast as we think it should/. In fact, how your body reacts to the scale today could be because of what you ate/how you worked out 2 days prior. There's many more factors, but the weight of water is the biggest reason for your weight difference.

In other words, don't worry about it!
This discussion has been closed.