Question

Leigh14
Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Last night I overate. By a LOT. I'm not sure exactly how much, but by an estimate, it was probably around 1000 calories.

Today, I have felt pretty nauseous. So far, I've consumed around 500 calories. Ugh. And I think I am done for the day. I have taken this week off from exercise, so I won't be working out.

I was just wondering if my cut in calories today will help even out my little problem last night. Or, will it not even matter because today is a new day?

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Maybe cut your cal. a little, but 500 is not enough to eat. I feel as long as your week averages out on track, you're ok. You don't really gain weight overnight, anyway
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    I'd avoid compensatory behavior. Not that you are heading down this path, but that's the initial path people with eating disorders go down.

You're right, today is a new day. And unless you're having a lot of bad days, there's really nothing to sweat. Think of it like this... there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat. You didn't even overeat enough to cause 1/3 of a pound of fat to be stored. No biggy.

Now if you're finding that these days pop up with frequency, I'd reassess your game plan and make sure you're not being too rigid and strict.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Overeating one day isn't going to mess up your progress all that much. So you don't need to compensate for it the next day. It's when it becomes a daily thing that's a problemo.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Remember that as long as your week evens out calorie-wise, you'll be fine! In fact some health experts recommend eating a different calorie count each day as long as your weekly total averages to your recommended daily total. Plus, 1000 calories isn't enough to gain even one pound, so you'll be fine!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Thanks for the advice, guys!

I wasn't actually doing that on purpose to compensate for the day before. I was, indeed, feeling sick, and wondering if since I'd only eaten around 500 cals that day, it would even out the day before. But, after reading the replies, I ate more that evening and came in just around 1000 calories.

This morning I stepped on the scale and I was up one pound. I don't get it. I really don't. I've been great all week except for that one night. Last night, I bought a new swim suit and was feeling pretty confident about stepping on the scale this morning. I felt good, I thought I looked pretty good, but now ... my confidence has completely plummeted. I am aiming for 20 more pounds before I head out to the beach in June. I tried using my beach date as a goal last year and it worked for me - I need something to work toward. But, I am getting so discouraged this time ... :sick:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    You could be retaining water as a result of something you ate in your splurge :). Maybe it's waste matter making it's way out of your system? I would not worry about 1 pound on 1 day. Tomorrow it could be gone, along with a pal or two. :flowerforyou: . Don't get discouraged! This is a lifestyle, not a make or break, temporary diet.
This discussion has been closed.