Should i get a digital scale?

Options
Hi all, i have been debating lately about investing in a digital scale, one that measure body fat and everrything. I was wondering, anyone who has changed from a regular scale to a digital one, did it help you in weight loss or did you find it discouraging, more encouraging or no difference whatsoever. Im a bit concerned a digital one may be more discouraging with every lttle ounce it can show. The scale i have now is a good one from the 1950s or so. Good sturdy one, but of course its so hard to be truly accurate with one like that, assuming i really want accuracy. And if it is a good idea, any suggestions on makes that are tried and true? There are so many choices out there its a bit of a crap shoot to get one that is good without spending tons of money.
Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• bev40ish
    Options
    Honestly, I have one and it's very inaccurate. I simply drink some water and the fat percentage changes. I stopped using it after a few weeks.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Avon has a nice digital scale, i think I paid about 30 dollars for it. I like to measure my weight to the first decimal after the pound. That portion is really nice.

However, i wouldn't spend a lot of money thinking that the body fat %s and what not are accurate. I tried logging that week to week and it's completely out. Mind you mine is a cheaper scale I would be so mad if I spend serious dollars on it though.

In my opinion the %s are just a vague indicator, if you did it once every few months it would be enough to get an indication of where you are at.

PS: the scale is DEADLY ACCURATE. it always gets the same numbers no matter how many times i re-weigh when i dont like the number.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i have been debating lately about investing in a digital scale, one that measure body fat and everrything. I was wondering, anyone who has changed from a regular scale to a digital one, did it help you in weight loss or did you find it discouraging, more encouraging or no difference whatsoever. Im a bit concerned a digital one may be more discouraging with every lttle ounce it can show. The scale i have now is a good one from the 1950s or so. Good sturdy one, but of course its so hard to be truly accurate with one like that, assuming i really want accuracy. And if it is a good idea, any suggestions on makes that are tried and true? There are so many choices out there its a bit of a crap shoot to get one that is good without spending tons of money.
    Thanks for any advice.
    I have been thinking about that too. Thanks for the question :smile: Oh & please tell me that is not a "real cat" in your picture :noway:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I personally like the analog scales seeing the numbers race up and go back and forth till it hits the correct weight.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Digital scale- yes.

Body fat scale- waste of money. Buy a $5 pair of calipers instead. Cheaper and much more accurate (once you learn how to use them) The BIA scales are wildly inaccurate.
  • tellascott
    Options
    Noooo, not a real cat but wouldn't it be adorable if it was?
    Thanks for any advice.
    I have been thinking about that too. Thanks for the question :smile: Oh & please tell me that is not a "real cat" in your picture :noway:
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    We had an analog scale at my house that was wildly inaccurate, it depended on what part of the hard wood floor it was sitting on and if you bounced up and down and then stopped, it would say you weighed 5 lbs more.

We got a new digital scale tonight, it was $15 at Wal-Mart, it works... works a little too good, I weigh more than I thought I did. :grumble:

Don't waste money on the body fat % stuff though.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Digital scale- yes.

Body fat scale- waste of money. Buy a $5 pair of calipers instead. Cheaper and much more accurate (once you learn how to use them) The BIA scales are wildly inaccurate.

I agree with this.