Replies

• jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Definitely do both!
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am also a fan of using free weights over the machines. I'm only 5' tall and I'm either too short or my arms are too short to use a lot of the machines. I'm usually the only woman in the free weights area of my gym, but I don't feel intimidated and neither should you!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did for the first 6 months of my weight loss journey:

Lifting:
    Alternate between A and B workouts 3 times per week, i.e. A/B/A week 1, B/A/B week 2. All routines are 5x5, meaning 5 sets of 5 reps, with the first 2 being a warmup.

A: Squats, Bench press, Overhead press
    B: Deadlift, Bent-over row, Pull-ups, Dips
    (all non-bodyweight exercises are with a barbell, not dumbbell)

Cardio:
    45 minutes of walking/running/rowing (whatever I was in the mood for, as long as I got the heart rate up) done AFTER lifting. You'll want the most of your energy for lifting.

I have my girlfriend on a similar program, and 2 months in (starting from 0 lifting experience) she can deadlift 225 and we're running a half marathon at the end of this month. Max time in the gym should be 2 hours, but once you're comfortable with the routines you can easily get in and out in 90 minutes

^^this looks like a hybrid of the Strongifts 5 x 5 that was suggested earlier by MoreBean and Starting Strength - both very good full body programs.