Which is more important: macros or calories?

Options

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    In order of importance...

1) Achieving calorie goal (this will dictate weight gained or lost)
    2) Maintaining sufficiently high protein intake (this will do most of what's possible on the dietary side to insure that "weight loss" is actually "fat loss" and not "muscle and fat loss")
    3) Eating a balance of carbs/fat that leaves you satiated (feeling full, not wanting). This can be fairly individual, and spans everything from low carb to low fat.

Assuming those 3 are in place, just make sure you're lifting weights (goes with #2 above to make your weight loss fat loss, avoiding muscle loss) and doing as much cardio as you need/want for your general health and perhaps for a bit extra calories burned.

So, to answer your question, if you're already exercising and eating enough protein, it's really about your total calorie intake, so don't sweat the small stuff (i.e. going over in fat or carbs - it's the total calories dictating the direction you're moving).

^^^^ this
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I had to find what worked best for me. I had to stay under many fat allowance and calorie goal in order to lose anything. I would also make sure my protein was up and carbs I wasn't to concerned about until I found I wasn't losing to much and as soon as I watched that to I started losing again. I lost 70lbs. doing that before I got pregnant. And I never really had a platue. My advice is stick to your calorie goal and if you start to platue or not losing what you want then start paying closer attention to the others.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

2) Maintaining sufficiently high protein intake (this will do most of what's possible on the dietary side to insure that "weight loss" is actually "fat loss" and not "muscle and fat loss")
    3) Eating a balance of carbs/fat that leaves you satiated (feeling full, not wanting). This can be fairly individual, and spans everything from low carb to low fat.

Assuming those 3 are in place, just make sure you're lifting weights (goes with #2 above to make your weight loss fat loss, avoiding muscle loss) and doing as much cardio as you need/want for your general health and perhaps for a bit extra calories burned.

So, to answer your question, if you're already exercising and eating enough protein, it's really about your total calorie intake, so don't sweat the small stuff (i.e. going over in fat or carbs - it's the total calories dictating the direction you're moving).

^ Basically that.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Can i ask this question; say you eat 1000cals and meet the 1 pound of lbm of protein or above and do heavy strength training you will not lose muscle mass but mostly fat percentage? Assuming you have energy to still do resistance training

thats not how it works , u wont have near enough energy via calories to maintain your bodies lean muscle mass ... your resting metabolic rate alone uses more than 1000 calories. to answer the question u will lose both FAT AND MUSCLE

I understand the energy part but i asked because i recently read about Lyle Mcdonald body recomposition plan and saw before and after pictures and people losing body fat and testimonies, I dont think its a lifestyle but targeted to lose the stubborn fat if in a stall

its basically based on a 1000cal or lrss and adding fish oil supplement and caffeine and heavy lifting, lots of people who ahve tried it have lost the body fat and retained muscle and looked more "ripped" then before.......i wanted t find out if it is least possible

I have done the RFL(Rapid Fat Loss Plan) by lyle Mcdonald, it's pure crap. I was starving for 5 weeks, lost 8lbs in a week then stalled out for 4 months. I said "screw this" i had 2 cheat dsays to recover. I did recover well, i recovered up to 6lbs. I only lost 2lbs in 5 weeks. I mostly lost water and glycogen.

You were doing it wrong.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Can i ask this question; say you eat 1000cals and meet the 1 pound of lbm of protein or above and do heavy strength training you will not lose muscle mass but mostly fat percentage? Assuming you have energy to still do resistance training

thats not how it works , u wont have near enough energy via calories to maintain your bodies lean muscle mass ... your resting metabolic rate alone uses more than 1000 calories. to answer the question u will lose both FAT AND MUSCLE

I understand the energy part but i asked because i recently read about Lyle Mcdonald body recomposition plan and saw before and after pictures and people losing body fat and testimonies, I dont think its a lifestyle but targeted to lose the stubborn fat if in a stall

its basically based on a 1000cal or lrss and adding fish oil supplement and caffeine and heavy lifting, lots of people who ahve tried it have lost the body fat and retained muscle and looked more "ripped" then before.......i wanted t find out if it is least possible

I have done the RFL(Rapid Fat Loss Plan) by lyle Mcdonald, it's pure crap. I was starving for 5 weeks, lost 8lbs in a week then stalled out for 4 months. I said "screw this" i had 2 cheat dsays to recover. I did recover well, i recovered up to 6lbs. I only lost 2lbs in 5 weeks. I mostly lost water and glycogen.

You were doing it wrong.

I was one out of a group of about 6 of the most experienced, educated people on MFP. We all got really crappy results.

I haven't read all this..... and not familiar with the plan..... but are you saying you ate 1000 calories a day for over 5 months and lost two pounds?
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

You were doing it wrong.

I was one out of a group of about 6 of the most experienced, educated people on MFP. We all got really crappy results.

That's quite an assertion for someone who is still losing weight. I suppose its possible but to challenge Lyle and then claim this while having "50 pounds to go", I gotta think that's one heck of an ego you got there.
  • jtmacri1
    jtmacri1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is important that your Macros are right for you!

Everyone's nutritional needs are a little different so play with your Macro % and see how you feel.

Take your total caloric goal and divide it up (eg. fat 30% pro 30% carb 40%). Play with some different combinations (My diet is fat 50% pro 30% carb 20%) see which feels best and helps you achieve your goals the most.

You will know you have the right combo when you are getting lean and you feel freaking awesome in the morning.

Fats are 9kcal per gram Proteins are 4 and carbs are 4. alcohol is 7 but don't drink because it sucks for you.

Good Luck!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat exactly at my calorie goal but I find that the closer I get to the calories my macros start going over, say carbs, by as much as 20g and then I totally freak out and eat too little the next day cause seeing the macros in red freaks me out.
    Is it more important to stay below your macros or eat at your calorie goal (especially if your calorie goal is kinda low for now)

Important in terms of what?

For weightloss, macros don't matter.

For satiety, health, and preservation of LBM, macros matter.
  • Crankstr
    Options

You were doing it wrong.

That's quite an assertion for someone who is still losing weight. I suppose its possible but to challenge Lyle and then claim this while having "50 pounds to go", I gotta think that's one heck of an ego you got there.

Hmmm okay ...

in one book he wrote forgot which one. He said to lose weight multiply your weight(body weight) by a number 10-15. In another an article he said multiply your weight by 12-16 to lose weight.

IF you read RFL closely, you have to take a break after the cycle. So lets say you're over weight and take 2 months after a cycle.
    The results are the same(assuming you get some with RFL) if you lose wait consistently or do it his way.

For example if I lose 15lbs in a month doing RFL I would have to take a 2 month break. That's 3 months total to lose 15lbs. I could just lose 1-2lbs a week and get the same results.

Another one, he wrote an entire article how you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. In his lecture of "Applied Nutrition For Mixed sports" He says "you can add muscle and lose fat at the same time, I wrote a book on it. It's called Ultimate Diet 2.0"

I guess you missed the 138lbs I lost. Your body is a reflection of how much you know. That sounds like the statement you're saying. Since lyle Mcdonald is a skinny little guy that means he knows nothing?

so if someone is small they know nothing?
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

You were doing it wrong.

Hmmm okay ...

in one book he wrote forgot which one. He said to lose weight multiply your weight(body weight) by a number 10-15. In another an article he said multiply your weight by 12-16 to lose weight.

IF you read RFL closely, you have to take a break after the cycle. So lets say you're over weight and take 2 months after a cycle.
    The results are the same(assuming you get some with RFL) if you lose wait consistently or do it his way.

For example if I lose 15lbs in a month doing RFL I would have to take a 2 month break. That's 3 months total to lose 15lbs. I could just lose 1-2lbs a week and get the same results.

Another one, he wrote an entire article how you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. In his lecture of "Applied Nutrition For Mixed sports" He says "you can add muscle and lose fat at the same time, I wrote a book on it. It's called Ultimate Diet 2.0"

I guess you missed the 138lbs I lost. Your body is a reflection of how much you know. That sounds like the statement you're saying. Since lyle Mcdonald is a skinny little guy that means he knows nothing?

No, what I'm saying is that to claim that you are one of the "6 of the most experienced, educated people on MFP" while you are still in the process of losing your last 50 pounds, means either you've done a heck of a lot of highly accelerated education or you have one heck of an inflated sense of yourself. Just me, but I find a little humility goes a long way.
  • Crankstr
    Options

You were doing it wrong.

Also, 6 people does not a good study make..were THEY even doing it right?

worked great for me when I did it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    if your goal is weight loss only then calories only matter..

If you want overall health watch the protien and fiber levels too. You'll want to at least double protein goals this site gives you and get your fiber intake into the 20s. If you do that it's mroe likely fat and sugar and salt will be low. which is what you want.

Depends what your goals are.. i'm all for overall health.. but i know not everyone is.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

You were doing it wrong.

Hmmm okay ...

The length of time you are on ( cat 1 vs cat 2 ect. ) RFL determines the breaks during and after you come off ( so your body can adjust )

Your numbers here are a bit off if I remember correct ( I don't have the book in front of me )

I did a cat 2 and a cat 1 and had great results, but I followed it to a "t".
  • Crankstr
    Options

You were doing it wrong.

Also, 6 people does not really make a good study...were THEY even doing it right?

worked great for me when I did it.

Yes we did it right. Have you ever done it?

um, i just said i did, lol
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    macro-ni and cheese is important
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    holy quoting batman
  • Crankstr
    Options
    Calories.

Calories cause you to gain or lose weight. I don't even pay attention to my macros anymore, I came to the conclusion it's pretty pointless. I tracked them for over a year, not necessary.

no.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    No i said 5 "weeks" not 5 "months".

To be fair:
    "I was starving for 5 weeks, lost 8lbs in a week then stalled out for 4 months"

4 months + 5 weeks = 5 months (+ a week)
  • Crankstr
    Options
    Calories.

Calories cause you to gain or lose weight. I don't even pay attention to my macros anymore, I came to the conclusion it's pretty pointless. I tracked them for over a year, not necessary.

no.

Are you speaking from experience or just stuff you read?

please...does it look like I have accomplished nothing?

You decide it doesnt matter, and tell everyone else that. Thats where i think you are wrong.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

OP: As has been said above by people smarter than I, focus on this. Oh, and have a great day! I'm out of here to the pool and to enjoy some sun.