Zumba Question

Options
2»

Replies

• LeighAnna115
    Options
    Hi all! I'm a Zumba instructor and wear a HRM during my classes. During a 50 minute class I always burn between 725-850 calories. Zumba gives a GREAT calorie burn, and I agree with others as long as you're having fun you're doing it right!

I also have Zumba for wii where it will tell me I burn around 350 calories. The wii estimates in my experience are very low. For any type of workout if you can invest in a HRM, do it! You'll be glad you did! The calories burn guessing game will be over, much less stressful. Enjoy your workouts!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I did wii zumba today and added it to my exercises. I wore a HRM and it wasn't that much for 30 mins - about 110 cals for me.
    I should add Zumba itself burns a lot more - just not on the Wii! I think I logged 700 for a 90 min class a few weeks back.

Wow. Maybe I'm doing something different, but I burn about 250 calories for 30 minutes of Zumba on the Wii...

Edited to add: This is according to my HRM.
  • LatinaPuppyLover
    Options
    I burn between 500-700 an hr. I use a hrm every time and let me tell you, If you have access.to a class, GO! I don't burn that much when I do it on the wii. Plus the class is so much fun!
  • getphit09
    getphit09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way to know is to invest in a HRM. I've been doing Zumba since June and every class is different so my calorie burn is different as well. I've ranged from 500 to 900 for a 60 minute class. Of course the more you use your arms and "go big" the bigger your calorie burn will be. Keep with it and have fun!!
    I agree. I wear a HRM and do a Zumba class at a local community center. It is low impact and a good burn (300-400cal), however when I go to the gym, Zumba is definately high impact and I burn way more calories (700-800). A HRM will definately let you know how much you burn because your stats (age, weight, height, etc.) are input.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Here's a good way to figure out how many calories you are burning but it's based on your heart rate: http://braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

I suggest that you wear a watch and take your heart rate every third song - write them down and average them out after class. You'll be able to get a good general idea of how much you are really buring during a class.

Those online things have no way to be correct because it's about how YOU are dancing. I know a gal who takes class with me and doesn't really dance - just sort of steps around -- there's no way she's burning as many calories as the gal who is jumping around the entire class and waving her arms so much that she smacked herself in the face (it wasn't me, I swear :blushing:)
  • LaDonnaF
    LaDonnaF Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just got a HRM :-)

Did a sort of slower Zumba class last night and burned 400 calories (was about 56 minutes rather than 60). I am 5'1" and around 150 lbs at 27 years old.

Calorie burn will vary for everyone regardless of the class you do and how hard you work. The difference between 500 and 600 calories is large, particularly if you are wanting to eat back some of your excercise calories. I'd recommend everyone get a HRM :-)
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I been wanting to do it ever since going to a class. But I didn't feel comfortable doing it in front of other people. I felt like a newborn baby giraffe all over the place! So I just didn't go back. But it would be fun to do it at home

LOL! EVERYONE looks like that in my classes! I started going a few years ago and now I go five times a week! I love it! I log it as aerobic exercise.
  • gloryweissert
    Options
    i had the same problem yeterday. Zumba is known all over the world and very popular..they need to add it
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a HRM so you don't have to guess. I can burn anywhere between 400 - 600 calories in a 60 min class. It depends on the songs/dances that the instructor does during the class and what the moves are and how much I LIKE the song. If its one I don't particularly care for I won't put as much into as ones that I LOVE. So my calories will vary.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I did wii zumba today and added it to my exercises. I wore a HRM and it wasn't that much for 30 mins - about 110 cals for me.
    I should add Zumba itself burns a lot more - just not on the Wii! I think I logged 700 for a 90 min class a few weeks back.

Wow. Maybe I'm doing something different, but I burn about 250 calories for 30 minutes of Zumba on the Wii...

Edited to add: This is according to my HRM.

Eh, everyone;s different :) depends on height/weight etc...I kept getting interrupted by kids, so that didn't help!
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    I wear a Polar FT7 HRM while I do Zumba WII.....I average 100 calories burned every 10 minutes...I do a full length class either moderate or high intensity. Went to my first "real" Zumba the other night....my HRM registered 530 for a 60 minute class...I think Zumba is worth it.....it's a "fun Burn" :wink:
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    5'0 ft, 122 lbs, and I burn 100 cals in 15 mins of Zumba.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Finally wore my HRM to class and I burned 672 cal in an hour...which is wonderful as Zumba is so much fun. Look (if you have choices) for an instructor who wants her group to have fun, if you don't see smiles, laughter, and lots of baby giraffes in the back row then might not be the best.
    After 3 months I still end up going the wrong way, my shoulders don't shimmy though my butt makes up for it, have to choose not to do the arms till my feet find there way. BUT, we hoot, holler, giggle and keep coming back to stumble around again.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love zumba and do it 3 - 4 times per week. I used to use the MFP database category "Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist" for zumba. That seemed to be pretty close. But the heart rate monitor is pretty accurate since it tells how hard you're actually working. Those other websites and calculators are only a guesstimate, whereas the heart rate monitor has specific information about you. Those sites and calculators cannot take into consideration your height, weight and overall physical condition. The HRM does.

I was really bummed out when I wore my new Polar FT4 HRM and it said I only burned 400 calories in a particular class. That pushed me to go harder in class, which led to a higher calorie burn. I think it is better to under estimate rather than over estimate, especially if you eat back your exercise calories.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As with many group classes it depends on the instructor. At my gym I have done Zumba a couple of times. I have stopped as i burn much more in a step class. Mambo cha cha chas don!t break a sweat for me. A few times in Zumba it seems that is all we were doing.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a HRM so you don't have to guess. I can burn anywhere between 400 - 600 calories in a 60 min class. It depends on the songs/dances that the instructor does during the class and what the moves are and how much I LIKE the song. If its one I don't particularly care for I won't put as much into as ones that I LOVE. So my calories will vary.

This is very true!!! Your level of effort varies based on many different factors such as how much you like the song, how you feel, what sort of mood you're in, whether your body aches, etc. The HRM measures your level of effort/how hard you're working, whereas the websites and calculators can't do that.