my TDEE IS 4400 calories ..how much shod i aim to lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    4400 seems high man , i doubt u will lose weight on something like 4000 calories ... have u tried other TDEE calculators ?
    I dunno. I maintain on up to 4000 a day; 270, 23 years old, 5'9" and gyming 4 days a week.

Still, I'd say cut to 3000 a day as that is still a good amount of food and you can afford the big deficit.

I'm with you on this. I'm 6'0 200 give or take, 36 years old , lift 4 days a week and work a very active job. I also maintain at 4,000. I cut on 3500

Try 3,000 if it seems too fast eat more, if you don't drop weight drop calories some more.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    ok i have recalculated using 3 sites and they all said same thing...4400

seems some forgetting that i said i exercise 6/7 days per week

adding with my heavy weight im thinking its logical....otherwise im confused :(

Have you tried http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator ?

I just did it and it seems more accurate for what my calorie intake should be to lose if I minus 15-20% of my TDEE. I used fitnessfrog and it was 1000 calories higher… Personally, I recommend going based of BMR versus TDEE, but that's just my preference.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What does MFP give you to lose 2lbs a week before exercise?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You can safely aim for 2 - 3 pounds of loss per week given your current size.

I would suggest eating 3,500 calories per day (which accounts for exercise so no need to eat them back) and see how you go from there.

I agree with this. Try 3500 and see how much you lose in a few weeks.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice.

Try not to stress too much about the numbers. The calculators are just a guess.

Thing is to something you will stick with. pick something, and adjust as needed after a few weeks.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Thing is these calculators are based on an assumption that someone exercising 6 days per week is doing something pretty extreme.
    I'd be inclined to go with the cals for a moderate level of activity, rather than the one that assumes you're an athlete.
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I suggest using the TDEE calculator on http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    Set your activity as per a typical 24 hours.
    I would personally choose to account for exercise time explicitly, and not in the TDEE, so I would not enter an hour of 'expected' exercise on there as anything other than sedentary. And then I would explicitly log calory burn estimate for any given days exercise on mfp to have mfp calculate the daily calorie impact of exercise above your non-exercise activity.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    hey guys

i have calculated my TDEE ...im big man and i exercise 6 days a week and my TDEE says 4400 and i burn 800 calories through exercises daily

how much shoud i aim to lose per week? and how much should i cut off from my daily intake

My TDEE when I was 270lbs was about 3500-4000 a day according to my Body Media Fit so it's possible but I would shoot for 2200-2500 and get used to that because once you're 180lbs you will be eating that to lose 1lb a week.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most people tend to over estimate how much they work out, and underestimate how much they eat.

if i were you, i'd go back to that TDEE calculator and click back one level of exercise that you originally put. i.e. if you put highly active, put down moderately active.

then subtract 20% to get your goal calories to lose weight.

now remember, your body works more on a weekly basis, rather than day-to-day. so if you're hungry, listen to your body and eat!! i find that the day that i work out, i'm not hungry at all, but the next day i'm insatiable.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    most people tend to over estimate how much they work out, and underestimate how much they eat.

^ this.

Also, keep in mind that if you say you exercise 6 times a week when calculating your TDEE, you can't ALSO include burning 800 calories a day at the gym. That 4400 was calculated to include your workouts.

There are a couple strategies that work, two were already suggested and I'll add a third:
    1) Knock activity level down one to be safe and subtract 20%
    2) Pick a reasonable number (3k) and start with that to see how things go
    3) Calculate what your TDEE would be without exercise (so sedentary) and eat at that level, then use exercise to generate the deficit

All three can work, it comes down to figuring out what would work best for you. Make sure you're eating enough that you can sustain the diet, but also recognize that with the room you have in your TDEE you can safely maintain a pretty hefty deficit.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I'd go with using MFP as designed rather than TDEE.

With a lot to lose, you can set it to lose 2lb a week - it will come off much quicker to start with anyhow. If you find you're really hungry, adjust up to lose 1.5 or 1lb a week. Set your activity level to your lifestyle, not including exercise. Note that in MFP the planned exercise days you enter does not affect your daily calorie total.

Log your exercise as and when you do it and MFP will add those extra "exercise calories" calories to your daily total. Eat back a good proportion of them - though with more to lose, if you're not hungry don't feel obliged to eat them all

For me and several MFP friends this works better than TDEE as you only eat for the exercise you actually do, not what you plan.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Not to speak for the OP, but I'd be willing to bet he started with MFP's but eventually advanced to figuring out what all the numbers mean so he can be more accurate. MFP calculates all of that stuff as well and is just another TDEE calculator, but you really don't see the workings of it because is simplifies things. Plus, MFP overestimates, in my opinion, and is not always accurate (read: tells everyone to eat 1200 calories no matter what)
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice.

Try not to stress too much about the numbers. The calculators are just a guess.

Thing is to something you will stick with. pick something, and adjust as needed after a few weeks.
    ^^QFT
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    At 5'6" and 300 lbs you've got to be more fat than muscle and you don't need to feed the fat. I'd use sedentary for your activity level and then add any intentional exercise you do (things where you actually hit the gym). You can decide if you want to eat those back. The calculators are all set up for the "normal" person and your stats don't even come close to fitting that category. Once you get off the end the charts are really skewed because they're giving numbers based on an assumed lean body mass.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've heard it's always better to start at a higher calorie amount than lower. If you start too low you have no where to go if/when you plateau. How about eating 3000 and see how that goes.

Good luck! :)
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I would get your body fat % tested or estimate it and use a TDEE calculator based on your weight/body fat % instead of weight/height/age. There's a very good change that you have a higher body fat % than is estimated on the calculators. I did your calculations based on 300 lbs and 50% body fat hard exercise 6-7 days a week and your TDEE only comes to 3173. HUGE difference!
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a SUPER high TDEE. I am 5'7 and 244lbs (started at 295) and I eat 1600-1800 calories a day, and am consistently losing 2.5-3lbs per week if I stay on plan. I walk 5-6 miles a day (often at 3.5 miles per hour or faster) for work.

The only time I eat back any exercise calories is if I do an actual workout (as opposed to my daily walking etc), and then I only eat back half.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a SUPER high TDEE. I am 5'7 and 244lbs (started at 295) and I eat 1600-1800 calories a day, and am consistently losing 2.5-3lbs per week if I stay on plan. I walk 5-6 miles a day (often at 3.5 miles per hour or faster) for work.

The only time I eat back any exercise calories is if I do an actual workout (as opposed to my daily walking etc), and then I only eat back half.
    If you're losing 2.5lbs a week, your TDEE is around 3100-3300 you know :) and he's a guy, which helps.