BMR?

Options
So....just a tad confused, if anyone can clear this up for me?!

After putting in all my numbers etc, MFP tells me to eat 1440 cals a day for a 1lb a week weight loss. Which im fine with :)

But.......after seeing lots of posts / conversations about BMR, i wonder if i should be eating this amount of calories (1567) instead?

It just seems a bit odd to me?! I dont know if i should go by the BMR or just stick to what i have been doing anyway. Its only just over a hundred more calories so i dont know if it would make much of a difference, but im concerned that it would slow any weight loss down.

Just looking for some opinions or advice.....

Replies

• johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    MFP is a calculator. If you want to lose 1lb/week, it will take 500 kcals off your TDEE and call it good. The only thing it takes into consideration beyond that is that it will not go less than 1200 for anyone. So, no, you can't take MFP's calorie advice as the personalized truth. That calorie goal may not be the exact best option for you, its just some guidelines.

I'm not sure how much weight you have to lose, but judging from your pictures, you do not appear to be obese. If you have between 10-20lbs to lose, you should go to 0.5/week.

If you're not sure, just try eating MFP's recommendation and see how you feel. If you feel weak, listless, fatigued, or starving all the time, increase your calories. If by eating that amount, you feel like you're getting enough food and energy, then it's probably okay. Listen to your body before you listen to generalized information on a website.